Sturmley Archer CSRK3 3 speed cassette hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tilley

Über Member
Has anyone fitted one of these to an Ice trike. I have a 20" Trice TNT and have thought about fitting one of these to allow me to fit a shorter drop rear derailleur.

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
V. Interesting. Would your plan be to do away with the need for a triple up front - what size front ring are you thinking would work ?

Even on 20" wheels we haven't had problems with the rear mech it's next to the wheel and is more protected than a delta .

Have a couple of friends with them - adjustment is crucial to stop any gear change problems , with the price of one you can afford 1/2 dozen replacement rear mechs .

later's emma

OP
OP
Tilley

Tilley

Über Member
Thinking of replacing the front triple with a single 32 ring. this would then allow the fitting of a short drop rear changer meaning that the chain didn't eat grass when on tracks it would also mean a shorter chain run and that I had full use of the whole cassette in each gear as no cross chain issues. In addition I could change whilst stationary. The 32 chain ring and rear hub provides an equivalent of 24, 32, 43.

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
The 32 chain ring and rear hub provides an equivalent of 24, 32, 43.

I've just checked my front rings - they're 26,36,48 - so am I right to think that if I did what you're proposing, I'd find it harder to go up hills, and would be slower on the level ?

The main reason I've heard of using one of these is to extend your range similar to a Schlumpf drive.
Combine one with something like a 48-36-26 triple and you basically get 5 chainrings.
That way you can use a smaller range cassette,11-28 vs 11-36, for closer gears at the top end without the loss of your lowest gears.
A 48-36-26 triple and a 11-28 cassette with one of these hubs on a 20" wheel gives you roughly a 108"-13" range.
So you stay in the middle gear due to minimum resistance until you run out of gears when you shift up/down as needed.
That's how I use my HSD and Rohloff combo, the HSD gives me another 7 gears above the Rohloffs normal range.
Plus it gives you the option of stepping down a chainring if you stop in the wrong gear.

Last edited:

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
Whilst looking at this, and the desire to move the chain line away from the ground for the 20" rear wheel, would you consider changing to a Shimano Afine 11 or 8 IGH, but keep the front triple ? I remembered that there was a blog http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk/alfie-the-trike/ that makes for some great reading, even if some of the photo links have been blocked (shame on you, Photobucket).

OP
OP
Tilley

Tilley

Über Member
Whilst looking at this, and the desire to move the chain line away from the ground for the 20" rear wheel, would you consider changing to a Shimano Afine 11 or 8 IGH, but keep the front triple ? I remembered that there was a blog http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk/alfie-the-trike/ that makes for some great reading, even if some of the photo links have been blocked (shame on you, Photobucket).
I have read much about the Shimano Alfine,s but cost and reliability were the main reason for considering the SA option.

OP
OP
Tilley

Tilley

Über Member
The main reason I've heard of using one of these is to extend your range similar to a Schlumpf drive.
Combine one with something like a 48-36-26 triple and you basically get 5 chainrings.
That way you can use a smaller range cassette,11-28 vs 11-36, for closer gears at the top end without the loss of your lowest gears.
A 48-36-26 triple and a 11-28 cassette with one of these hubs on a 20" wheel gives you roughly a 108"-13" range.
So you stay in the middle gear due to minimum resistance until you run out of gears when you shift up/down as needed.
That's how I use my HSD and Rohloff combo, the HSD gives me another 7 gears above the Rohloffs normal range.
Plus it gives you the option of stepping down a chainring if you stop in the wrong gear.
Interesting thought, but how do you deal with the extra gear shift?
I currently have bar end shifters for the front and rear derailleur.
I suppose I could fit a friction shift for the front derailleur and use the bar end for the SA hub and rear mech.

OP
OP
Tilley

Tilley

Über Member
Interesting thought, but how do you deal with the extra gear shift?
I currently have bar end shifters for the front and rear derailleur.
I suppose I could fit a friction shift for the front derailleur and use the bar end for the SA hub and rear mech.
Because the hub is only really used to give you a zeroth/fourth chainring it's the least used shifter.
So just put the hub trigger shifter where it's out of the way but you can get at it easily.
The way I've seen it done was on the opposite handlebar to the parking brake but in a similar position.

That's the main reason I went with a Schlumpf HSD.
With only one hand, 4 controls on one handlebar (front & back shifters plus main & parking brakes) is just easily doable but adding a fifth is not due to running out of space.
As you change the HSD with your heels, it got around that problem.

Top Bottom