Sub £1000 winter bike - through C2W

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can I add the Genesis Day One 8 speed to your list. A perfect bullet proof commuter with disc brakes and hub gears and drop bars that rides just like a good road bike but without the problems of derailleurs and rim brakes in the wet and muck. I commute on the 11 speed version and love it but that will be outside your budget.

I have a tifosi ck3 (soon to be sold on) and its an excellent bike, not sure you need something quite so flash as the ck7 as a winter hack!

Great quality bikes, but I think only available online?

Tifosi frames/bikes are brought in by Chicken Cycles - my LBS has one on display...

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Can I add the Genesis Day One 8 speed to your list. A perfect bullet proof commuter with disc brakes and hub gears and drop bars that rides just like a good road bike but without the problems of derailleurs and rim brakes in the wet and muck. I commute on the 11 speed version and love it but that will be outside your budget.

Thanks-but not my thing. I want the bike to be good for long weekend rides too.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Thanks-I had this one in mind. A guy who works in the same building as me and they looked nice. It was also reviewed in cycling plus last month.

I had a chat with him yesterday and he agreed with what cycling plus said - the ride is very firm., so much so he is going to use something else over winter. Now, all these things are relative and for me it might be fine and it's not something I have fully discounted.

Note Dolan's carbon winter hack too :thumbsup:
Yeah I saw that one too didn't like the green colour scheme.

Last year I bought a Boardman CX and I am afraid that it was only really used in the depths of winter and only because I felt I had too, I ended up fitting Race Blade longs to my Specialized Roubaix and rode that.

Cost me a few bob in replacing stuff but enjoy riding it much more. Luckily my eldest Daughter has taken to riding the CX.

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Yeah I saw that one too didn't like the green colour scheme.

Last year I bought a Boardman CX and I am afraid that it was only really used in the depths of winter and only because I felt I had too, I ended up fitting Race Blade longs to my Specialized Roubaix and rode that.

Cost me a few bob in replacing stuff but enjoy riding it much more. Luckily my eldest Daughter has taken to riding the CX.

Can I ask why you stopped using the CX?

Lee_M

Guru
not sure, but my ck3 doesnt look like any of the ribbles I've seen

that isnt to say he's wrong though ^_^

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Hmmmm

I really like the look of the Specialized that Potsy quoted.

Thoughts? Am I being picky over my dislike of Sora?

Andrew_P

Can I ask why you stopped using the CX?
All the time I was on it I was wishing I was on the Roubaix, some of that is that the Roubaix was my first road bike and I had done about 5k miles on it, so anything differnt would have felt strange. It felt lighter, the CX and really low quality wheelset. I suppose I just preffered the Roubaix and the main reason I went for the CX was a road bike that can take Guards.

What I wanted to warn you of is spending 1k on something that is less nice to ride than the CAAD, it was brillant return back to the Roubaix having spent 1200 miles on the CX felt like really wanted to go, and Roubaix is not even an out an out road bike.

Andrew_P

Hmmmm

I really like the look of the Specialized that Potsy quoted.

Thoughts? Am I being picky over my dislike of Sora?
I think 1k for a Sora equipped bike is taking the pish.

The Trek Domanes take mudguards

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
All the time I was on it I was wishing I was on the Roubaix, some of that is that the Roubaix was my first road bike and I had done about 5k miles on it, so anything differnt would have felt strange. It felt lighter, the CX and really low quality wheelset. I suppose I just preffered the Roubaix and the main reason I went for the CX was a road bike that can take Guards.

What I wanted to warn you of is spending 1k on something that is less nice to ride than the CAAD, it was brillant return back to the Roubaix having spent 1200 miles on the CX felt like really wanted to go, and Roubaix is not even an out an out road bike.

I know what you mean.

However, I use the Carrera £200 jobby and actually like the change sometimes. Means I can go off road, bash it around a bit and it stops on a sixpence.

Prepping the CAAD for the weekly commute, then prepping it for weekend rides can get a bit tiresome.

I'm wondering if thses statements are leaning me towards something which will take 25mm+ tyres (for canal paths etc)?

Andrew_P

I know what you mean.

However, I use the Carrera £200 jobby and actually like the change sometimes. Means I can go off road, bash it around a bit and it stops on a sixpence.

Prepping the CAAD for the weekly commute, then prepping it for weekend rides can get a bit tiresome.

I'm wondering if thses statements are leaning me towards something which will take 25mm+ tyres (for canal paths etc)?
If you do not mind the brand name the Trek Domane 2.3 ticks most boxes.

The thing is the Carrera is a totally different bike, I enjoyed scooting around on a GT Zum on Holiday but couldn't stand doing my commute on it.

Lee_M

Guru
the
If you do not mind the brand name the Trek Domane 2.3 ticks most boxes.

The thing is the Carrera is a totally different bike, I enjoyed scooting around on a GT Zum on Holiday but couldn't stand doing my commute on it.

The domane 2.3 looks a really nice bike - of course I'm biased having the 5.2 version!

I was thinking of getting one as my C2W bike, but after my trip to Greece I'm thinking a nice MTB fits the bill better
(yes of course I'll be using it to ride to work - the crappy hybrid over there is just for emergencies)

Top Bottom