Sub £1000 winter bike - through C2W

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks-but not my thing. I want the bike to be good for long weekend rides too.

I use mine for long weekend rides and when I have to choose between the Genesis and my Cannondale CAAD road bike for a long weekend ride I mostly go for the Genesis. People dismiss them for their hub gears and only 8/11 speeds but they have a very useful range of gears and very well spaced so I find 11 speeds far more useful (and easier because you just have one changer not two to deal with) than 30 speeds.

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
8-11 gears useless for derbyshire/lancashire.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
the

The domane 2.3 looks a really nice bike - of course I'm biased having the 5.2 version!I

The Domane Series 6 or Project One was going to be my big investment in a do it all bike..!!

out of interest have you fitted mudguards at all? :-)

Lee_M

Guru
nope, but then
The Domane Series 6 or Project One was going to be my big investment in a do it all bike..!!

out of interest have you fitted mudguards at all? :-)

nope, but then again I've only had it for two rides (and crashed on the second!)

I have a BSO for commuting and the tifosi for bad weather - although it has rarely been out in bad weather!

Andrew_P

nope, but then

nope, but then again I've only had it for two rides (and crashed on the second!)

I have a BSO for commuting and the tifosi for bad weather - although it has rarely been out in bad weather!
So a bike collector :-) Sorry to hear about the Domane, much damage to it? No chance of a review in two rides!

Lee_M

Guru
So a bike collector :-) Sorry to hear about the Domane, much damage to it? No chance of a review in two rides!

only broke a lever - but that cost £115 to replace!

not a bike collector yet - my wife would kill me....err.....

first impressions of the domane are:

stupid name
really really comfortable
really light given its a 62cm
very picky on the correct set up for the gears (ultegra)
i'm not good enough to own it!
I'd prefer my own colour choice but couldnt justify the price of the project One
I'd have likes di2 but again couldnt justify it
stupid name

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Hmmmm

I really like the look of the Specialized that Potsy quoted.

Thoughts? Am I being picky over my dislike of Sora?

Probably, the 2013 Sora does not have the thumb shifters anymore and have the paddles like the higher groupsets. They just look like Tiagra 9 speed shifters in black to my eyes, which I have on my 2010 Secteur Sport that work really well. I really like the look of the disc equiped Secteur too, shame they do not do it with a triple.

alanf1968

Regular
Spa Cycles of Harrogate introduced a new Audax bike earlier this year, Paul Hewitt offers an excellent Audax bike that may just come inside your budget and an excellent bike fitting service, and a few friends recommend Surley frames, the Crosscheck is a very versatile option

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Oooohh, good one Greg - how did you find out about these?

Are you thinking of the Surosa Toledo bike?

I think mine is the S34C. In Matte black, with black graphics, and black wheels.

I found out by asking some audaxers I know what they would buy for £1000 on C2W. I got a Veloce triple for the money (but had to add a Titanium railed B17 out of my own pocket)

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Probably, the 2013 Sora does not have the thumb shifters anymore and have the paddles like the higher groupsets. They just look like Tiagra 9 speed shifters in black to my eyes, which I have on my 2010 Secteur Sport that work really well. I really like the look of the disc equiped Secteur too, shame they do not do it with a triple.

I've just been to Evans at lunchtime to have a look at the 2013 Sora. You're right it has the paddles and is a 9 speed.

It looks to me like it's the 2010 Tiagra with perhaps, not quite as nice a finish.

I'm going to test ride one when Evans get them in stock. That isn't to say I have decided on this, just that it would be silly not to have a look given the shop is around the corner from where i work.

Andrew_P

I've just been to Evans at lunchtime to have a look at the 2013 Sora. You're right it has the paddles and is a 9 speed.

It looks to me like it's the 2010 Tiagra with perhaps, not quite as nice a finish.

I'm going to test ride one when Evans get them in stock. That isn't to say I have decided on this, just that it would be silly not to have a look given the shop is around the corner from where i work.
If they have a 2.3 Domane give that a ride too. (stock look really short at the moment though)

Andrew_P

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Been down to Evans / Edinburgh Cycles for a chat - will take the Secteur disc out for a spin (Edinburgh will loan the bike for 24 hours, so long as you pay for the bike-refund on return. Seems a reasonable approach).

Someone has come up with a suggestion that seems pretty valid - buy a frame and forks, then swap the parts from my CAAD and buy new parts fot ehe CAAD. Anyone done this for a winter bike?

Was thinking of buying a frame/forks/headset & handlebars & swapping the Tiagra 9 spd triple groupset and the R501 wheels onto the winter bike. Then buying something like a 105/Ultegra groupset & some "better" wheels to put on the CAAD.

Top Bottom