1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub £125 MTB

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by MarkF, 2 Jan 2008.

1. MarkF

MarkF Guru

I don't want to wreck my new Discovery 501 on the canal paths so I'm looking for a cheap mucky day MTB. No suspension is necessary (or wanted really), just a serviceable decent bike.;)

I live in West Yorks and can pick up within 50 miles. (ish)

Loathe to use a carrier as (after a spectacular argument) I have just had to return a bike and extract my cash back after a pathetic misrespresentation:angry:

2. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Am I missing something here? Why would riding on canal paths wreck a Dawes Discovery?

3. Noodley

Noodley Guest

I'm not trying to guess what's gonna be on Edinburgh Bike Co-operative New Year Sale...but, it starts tomorrow and there are usually a few of their Revolution MTB/Hybrid bikes with greatly reduced price tags. The web page promises a full preview of all items sometime today, but nothing has appeared as yet.

4. MarkF

MarkF Guru

It's a simple "wanted" request but as it holds such a fascination for you:smile: Here goes.

The 501 is my first new and expensive (for me) bike, I want to do summer (as in dry) towpath riding, day rides and the odd week long tour. I want to look after it. The quickest way to the canal from my house involves a half mike trip through woods that steep sharply down to the water on either tracks churned up by horse riders or very slippery cobble stones covered in mud. Therefore I need a MTB.

Noodley, thanks, I'll have a look.

5. RedBike

RedBike New Member

6. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

For that price you'll be looking at EBC, Decathlon or ebay. But please not JJB, Halfords or Hawk Cycles.

But you really shouldn't worry about it. It's a hybrid. It'll manage.

I've spent 3 years on a £400 Spesh Crossroads in all kinds of weathers, from 28 tyres to 38s. On all kinds of terrain. The wheels have never needed truing, and it always looks as good as new after a good hosing.

You could get a cheap mountain bike for muckier days. But to keep it going you're still going to have to give it as much attention as you would your Dawes.

7. Zoiders

Zoiders New Member

I ride the tow paths on a rigid ally saracen killi team MTB with panaracer slicks at 100psi

It works fine, just be sure to give it squirt of GT85 and lube every now and then

Another option is an On One single speed converter, put the gears back on when the weather gets better

8. MarkF

MarkF Guru

Thanks for the replies.

You are right:smile: I am going to scratch, dint or filthy it up sometime, I'll stick with it and take the longer route to the canal. My foibles from another hobby (wristwatches) are spilling over, I spend a fortune on watches and don't bleedin well wear them in case I scratch tem:wacko:

9. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

I have an old Peugot MTB circa early 1990's...only thing is it's in Essex...any use to you?

[​IMG]

if it is , make me an offer.

The bike is sound except it needs a new left hand shifter and the gears need re setting up.

10. walker

walker New Member

What size BTFB?

11. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

I dont know exactly....erm...tell me where to put a measure and I'll measure it up tomorrow. It's just a little too small really for me (i am 6'4") but i have been able to ride it ok since I got it new with the saddle right up high. I even had my son in a baby seat on it when he was young.

12. MarkF

MarkF Guru

I am sorry BTFG, I have only just seen this, many thanks for your kind offer....but I don't want it.:blush:

I have got the 501 dirty, the spell has been broken and I am happy with it now.