Subuteo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Hobby is a Falco Subutteo

L

Tetedelacourse

QuickDraw said:
I vaguely remember hearing about that. I remember thinking "Aye very good but I bet he's rubbish with the ball at his feet."

I never understood the point of Subbuteo. My brother had a set and games usually lasted about 5 minutes until we remembered how rubbish it is compared to the real thing and went outside to play 7-by's (I've never had to write that before so I've no idea how to spell it.)

To be fair, the ball was tiny:biggrin:

But yeah I'm with you - got very boring very quickly - probably due in no small part to the fact that I was crap at it - and no comparison to the real thing, or to World Cup/ 3 and in/ Wide and in/ Pairs/ Bar-rie or even Kerbie!

Evilcat

laurence said:
The Hobby is a Falco Subutteo
The inventor of the game (Peter Adolph) wanted to call it The Hobby but couldn't trademark the word. Hence "Subbuteo".

Not only immortalised by The Undertones but also by Half Man Half Biscuit in "All I want for Christmas is a Dulka Prague Away Kit".

BC

Arch said:
Laurence and evilcat have cracked it...

There now, who says t'internet can't be eddicayshunal?

Don't I get an honourable mention for nearly getting there without using Google? :evil:

<Patrick sits trembling, knowing that even slight praise from Arch will give him a warm glow throughout his long cold commute home>

Arch

Married to Night Train
Patrick Stevens said:
Don't I get an honourable mention for nearly getting there without using Google? :biggrin:

<Patrick sits trembling, knowing that even slight praise from Arch will give him a warm glow throughout his long cold commute home>

Go on, then, have a warm glow....:evil:

Abitrary

I used to like the idea of Subuteo.

But then I saw a better version where you could move the players using some sort of mechanical under-structure.

I saw it in some Argos or green shields stamps catalog or something.

The catalogs that me and my brothers got given for christmas

Arch

Married to Night Train
laurence said:
i think you're getting confused with eagles, who love the game as their talons are just right for flicking. kestrels tend to blow the ball along with their wings whilst hovering over the pitch.

L

I love this image - a pair of eagles, majestically playing Subbuteo (eagles do everything majestically, it's in their contracts), and getting pissed off with a kestrel who keeps blowing the ball away...

Top Bottom