Such a Good Week Until This Morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
It's been a nice easy week on the roads until this morning when a driver from the Devizes branch of British Waterways decided to show their contempt for my safety twice within a few minutes.
First time, cycling up a hill, parked cars both sides so only room for one vehicle. See the vehicle coming down the hill, nice gap in the parked cars on the left where a sensible driver would have used to let me pass, no gaps on my side. But no, they just drives straight at me forcing me to play chicken with them, I decide to be the chicken today so squeeze up against the parked cars as they go past, at least they slowed down a little.
A few minutes later, after they have picked up their mate and are on the way out of Swindon, they decide on a stupid overtake on a bend whilst speeding. On suddenly seeing the oncoming traffic they decide to cut in very closely to me. A thing to bear in mind are the conditions, it's dark, the roads are wet as it's raining and I'm travelling quite quickly during the second incident as I have the tail wind behind me.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
eeek.

I've also had a pretty good week untill this morning. tipping down with rain and some idiot decideds to cut into my lane as i'm coming onto vauxhall bridge and splash a puddle all over me. My shoes turned into sinks :sad:

........British Waterways........

I'd complain to them, BW are bastards for enforcing whichever rules they have when you cycle on a canal towpath. Perhaps they would like you to treat people on the towpath as the driver of their van treated you?

As a relatively small/volunteer organisation, tracing the driver won't be that hard.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
Another unpleasant vehicle interaction at lunch time. Coming up to a T-junction, I'm going left plenty of looking to my right for traffic, it's clear, do a quick life saver, just in time, see some idiot salmon cyclist is coming around the bend in the gutter. Lucky I wasn't asleep or a bus, it's a very obscured corner.
Hopefully my ride home will be uneventful so just two videos to work on a BOGOF driver and salmon cyclist.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
I'd complain to them, BW are bastards for enforcing whichever rules they have when you cycle on a canal towpath. Perhaps they would like you to treat people on the towpath as the driver of their van treated you?

As a relatively small/volunteer organisation, tracing the driver won't be that hard.
I emailed them this morning, will wait and see what they do about it.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
eeek.

I've also had a pretty good week untill this morning. tipping down with rain and some idiot decideds to cut into my lane as i'm coming onto vauxhall bridge and splash a puddle all over me. My shoes turned into sinks :sad:
My shoes and socks were completely soaked after being caught in a heavy downpour which was too much for the drains to cope with, just happened to be the day I forgot to bring any spare socks.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I have been riding my road bike minus guards all week the CX is laid up with a headset problem, me and the bike were in a right old state this morning.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
I have been riding my road bike minus guards all week the CX is laid up with a headset problem, me and the bike were in a right old state this morning.
I have full mudguards and it made no difference at all to how wet I got, when a river falls from the sky mudguards do not help.

I was riding through Ipswich with some colleagues when a Royal Mail van driver was upset by having to wait behind us while we rode through a pinch point in the primary position. As he overtook us he took great care to throughly wash his screen with the wipers on manic speed; consequently we got wet. I took his number and rode immediately to the Royal Mail depot where the fleet manager was most concerned to hear of our incident, promising to have severe words with the driver in question.

I felt that the incident was dealt with very well, and I reckon that you really ought to complain to companies when their drivers are idiots.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I am only off the bike as the freewheel does not function. At this temperature you can peddle all you want but the wheel wont spin. You could replace the grease with a light oil then hit the road.

I had that happen to me last winter (though it was only about -12!). I'd never experienced it before and thought something major had happened, so took the bike straight to the LBS- of course after a nice warm journey in the car, by the time I got it to the shop, the guy just turned the pedals and it had of course thawed and was completely fine- I 've rarely felt such a complete numpty :wacko:

Top Bottom