Suffer from Back Pain?

Do You Suffer from Back Pain?

• No

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I find playing cricket, golf, rugby and football are all far worse for my back than cycling, especially cricket and golf.....

roadiewill

Yeh I get it and Im only 17.... :/

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
I get pain on occasion, mostly due to a horse-riding accident years ago and from sitting at a desk, with bad posture. Think cycling does it good.

Am not sure which way to vote on the poll as is seems to be about pain caused by cycling...

cchapman

I do, from a torn muscle from ages ago. Just turning over in bed causes pain unless done very slowly and carefully, yet riding causes no pain at all in the back (wrists knees, neck, elbows are another matter though, (haha only joking). I have the tops of my bars about 3" below the saddle and get down on the drops at the suggestion of a headwind.

I used to suffer quite badly from lower back pain but last winter and again this winter I've been doing a pilates class once a week. It has really helped, not only with my back pain but also with my core strength and my posture. I would recommend it

The girl that takes the class is pretty hot also;)

Quoth

cchapman said:
I do, from a torn muscle from ages ago. Just turning over in bed causes pain unless done very slowly and carefully, yet riding causes no pain at all in the back (wrists knees, neck, elbows are another matter though, (haha only joking). I have the tops of my bars about 3" below the saddle and get down on the drops at the suggestion of a headwind.

Same here - back pain since a childhood accident and when it goes "twang" I struggle to get out of the bed and can barely walk. However, I can cycle with no pain whatsoever! I get a good grilling from my boss every time it happens, as to why I can't sit at my desk but I manage to cycle in.

I've recently seen a physio as the frequency of "twangs" is increasing. There's no permanent cure, but core strength exercises and stretching have helped a lot.

It also turns out that my 50-mile-onset sore neck and pianowire hamstrings are a result of my weak back too. I thoroughly recommend seeing a physio if you have a bad back and any other niggles.

When I used to get a bad back (mowing the lawn was often what set it off) I found that cycling was actually one of the few activities that didn't seem to make it worse.

I get less problems with it nowadays - possibly because I take more exercise in general, do more stretching and try to sit correctly rather than slouching.

derall

Guru
I do - but contrary to Hilldodger - less so when I'm on the bent. Cracked the C4 vertebra (orienteering accident) about twelve years ago and the back pain started after that. 'Bent has neck support which makes things easier

asterix

Comrade Member
In November 2007 I fractured C2, C3 and a teardrop fracture in T5.

When they took my halo off in Feb (for bad behaviour?) I asked if I could carry on with my barn conversion and they said it would be fine but 'listen to your body'. In March I resumed work on the barn and altho slightly uncomfortable due to stiff muscles and joints, it was the best thing I could have done. I also went on cycle rides of ever-increasing distance.

In the hospital they said one of the reasons I'd recovered so well was my fitness, largely due to cycling. Now I am again capable of stuff like lifting large rocks, sacks of cement and pushing heavy wheel-barrows uphill.

Dannyg said:
Jeez - how did that happen?

I was cycling home from work, went on to a roundabout which was clear at the time, but the bloke in the car behind me pulled onto it really quickly, was looking right for other cars and as he went around the roundabout ploughed straight into me. My handlebars made a deep scratch all the way down the side of his car :headshake: I ended up with two partially crushed vertebrae (T 5 and 6) from hitting the ground a bit too hard.

The last thing I remembered was hitting his door, and then I came round in the middle of the road and got carted off to hospital. Sadly there were no witnesses, despite it being rush hour, so he wasn't prosecuted. I sued the bastard instead.

The problem I have with my back as a result is that the muscles around damaged vertebrae tend to spasm, which causes all kinds of pain to radiate into my back and shoulders. Oh well.

Cranky

I've had a history of intermittent lower back pain but have found cycling is one of the more comfortable activities and certainly doesn't bring it on. Like others here I've found the incidence far less frequent since doing core exercises and improving fitness generally.

postman

Legendary Member
Even with Osteo Arth.Never had pain ,ever.Just a swollen knee.That went stiff with the fluid.I must have been lucky.So good luck to you.

Top Bottom