Suffer from Back Pain?

Do You Suffer from Back Pain?

• No

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
One of the reasons I returned to cycling was to see whether it helped with the lower back pain that I've had (on and off) over the last 15 years. But I understand from an osteopath that back pain is quite a common complain among cyclists. Just wondering therefore what percentage of CC members suffer from back pain.

Yes I do and recumbents make it worse!

I find riding anything but my penny or a very upright machine uncomfortable after a couple of miles:sad:

kyuss

Veteran
Yep. Sciatica on and off over the past 4 years. When it's really bad however, being on the bike is the only place I'm comfortable, which is a bonus.

LondonCommuter

I had bad back pain when I (re)started 1.5 years ago. I first thought it was because of using a rucksac rather than panniers (as advised by a colleague who said he'd wasted money on panniers that he then never used). I think it was actually bad adjustment of handlebars and saddle height. Raising them (several times as I am tall) really helped.

Now, I find drops much better than straight handlebars for my back which seems to be against received wisdom. However, it is drops on a tourer so they are not much lower than the saddle and I guess its the leaning down that would curve the back more and potentially hurt

peanut

I have a missing L5/S1 disk which limits my mobility when walking but on a bike I am free. No pain whatsever whilst cycling but I haven't yet tried anything over 1 hour non stop.
Being on a bike your body forms a nice strong triangle with the top tube and gives good support and bracing for some back problems.
If you get some reduction in pain and some comfort from sitting with a slightly curved back then cyling should be possible.
I think core strengthening exercises and constant gentle mobility keeps your back stronger and helps reduce pain

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
I did this year. Wasn't anything major, more annoying than anything else but it was enough to stop me from competing this Summer in Thai Boxing.:biggrin:

12 years of getting the crap kicked out of me was bound to have an effect at some point.:biggrin:

Cycling actually helped it in my case. I done more cycling this Summer than I have in any previous Summer for a few years including 6 weeks in Southern France.:biggrin:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I have found I do occassionally get muscular back pain (depending on what I have been doing at work it can be shoulder blades or lower back).. cycling seems to have helped me, perhaps because I am "locked in", and it can strengthen muscles other than just legs when you're suporting yourself over those bumps.

Danny

Legendary Member
I've suffered from lower back problems for over ten years, and do get lower back pain on longer cycle rides.

There seems to be two schools of thought on how best to deal with this.

1. Ride In A Very Upright Position
Chiropractors and osteopaths would generally recommend that you ride in as upright position as possible, and argue that any curve of the back is a bad thing. This was certainly the view of my chiropractor and as a result I modified my bike so that I rode in a very upright position - however this never seems to resolve the problem.

2. Ride In A More Stretched Out Position
Following numerous favourable references on this forum to the bike fitting service provided by Paul Hewitt, I booked a session with him last year. He strongly advised me to change my riding position so that it was much more stretched out - his theory being that if you ride in a very upright position for any length of time all your upper body weight falls onto your lower back, whereas if are more stretched out more of your weight goes forward onto your hands.

I took Paul's advice and totally changed my riding position. However I have to say I have had mixed results - some rides are totally pain free, and others not so - and I think I need to experiment with my position a bit more.

Having said that I know that others have seen a big improvement after one of Paul's sessions, and other changes he made to my position definitely mean that my riding is now more efficient.

On balance I would recommend that you go see Paul, or someone who runs a similar service, and make sure your bike is set up properly. But you also need to make sure you look after your back, do regular back strengthening exercises, and recognise that you may get good days and bad days on your bike.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I have sciatica now, since slipping three discs last month....

Haven't been back on the bike yet so don't know how that will be...

colly

Re member eR
I get back pain yes but I am not sure it has anything to do with cycling. Apart from falling off and pulling something that is.

I had it occasionally before I ever began to cycle.

Top Bottom