Sufferfest getting away with it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mattk50

MattK50
Hi,

This is a great start video for me at the moment to get back old fitness but have a question. At points in the video it can take you down to cadence 65 when it's going up a hill. I just can't pedal that slow as there's no resistance, my legs run away from me. I would have thought that the resistance would kick in more so 65 cadence is more stiff?

Matt

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If anything that should increase the resistance. Something wrong between app and your trainer. Start there.

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
Wahoo kickr snap. I've done a spin down and the roller is tight enough. The resistance does change throughout but none at lower cadence requirements. I just go up a gear to increase the resistance which is what the trainer should be doing.

BurningLegs

Veteran
That’s the same trainer as I use. What sort of wattage are you putting out at 65rpm when you can’t feel any resistance? I must admit I don’t go that low in cadence during workouts but this sounds like a fault!

Maybe try an alternative app like TrainerDay (it’s free) to see if the trainer offers resistance then?

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
Maybe 90 watts? I follow the RPM as per the screen so it is part of the ride? Would doing the full monty help callibrate my settings more although that would kill me at this stage? Maybe the half monty?

BurningLegs

Veteran
Is that 90W as mandated by the Sufferfest plan I.e the Kickr in ERG will be offering resistance upto 90W? I’d find it very hard to keep wattage as low as 90W at 65rpm so perhaps this is the problem - you need Sufferfest to be setting resistance higher than 90W for the trainer to give you something to push against at the low RPM?

Assuming you can tweak the resistance in Sufferfest, next time set it a bit higher (maybe 130W or something) andI reckon you won’t need to change gear.

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
I'm not sure I follow. I just set the new kickr up, downloaded sufferfest on the ipad, connected it to the kickr, sensors, HRM etc and have chosen this ride as it looked easy enough to do. It does change resistance throughout the video but not enough.

BurningLegs

Veteran
When you manually add resistance by going up a gear do you go over the target 90 watts?

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
Ok, so I did a wahoo spin down and it said cycle up to 37 kph and then freewheel. I couldn't get that far up, maybe 28 before my legs were running away from me. So I took the settings from sufferfest as follows. Just feeling on the low cadence/grid sections down to 60 cadence standing up that I can't go that slow.

1624112919446.png

Top Bottom