Sugar -vs- sweeteners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
You do not eat beans often so it will be neither here nor there. Personally I would stick with sugar. Your body is evolved to deal with sugar but gets confused by saccharin. The latter been around a while, since at least the 70's.
A bit longer than that.
"Saccharin was produced first in 1879, by Constantin Fahlberg."

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
A quick alternative to the baked beans that you buy in tins:
buy a tin of beans in brine, drain the brine, fill the empty tin with water, put said water to simmer with the beans, add 2 heaped tablespoons of tomato pure, stir, simmer for a few minutes, till the sauce thickens.
Not exactly the same as baked beans, because there is no sugar, but: either add some sugar to taste, or add other seasoning to taste.
This way, you can control (or not) the amount of sugar in the beans.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
@tyred How many tins of beans do you eat in a week, one or two? If cordial is your main form of fluid intake throughout the day I'd suggest your attempt stated upthread to switch to water will be far more beneficial than whether your beans contain sugar or sweeteners.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
One artificial swwetener which has zero calories and is considered safe is Stevia. Its a plant extract. I use it for sweetening apple or gooseberry sauce and rhubarb. I don't drink tea (well hardly ever) and I gave up having sugar in coffee years ago, so I don't sweeten that at all.

With the beans you could wash the sauce off and substitute tomato puree and a spoonful of Stevia maybe?

vickster

Legendary Member
One artificial swwetener which has zero calories and is considered safe is Stevia. Its a plant extract. I use it for sweetening apple or gooseberry sauce and rhubarb. I don't drink tea (well hardly ever) and I gave up having sugar in coffee years ago, so I don't sweeten that at all.

With the beans you could wash the sauce off and substitute tomato puree and a spoonful of Stevia maybe?
Or just buy plain beans which are likely cheaper (esp if you buy dried and prepare) and then cook as Pat suggested above

Globalti

Legendary Member
"Gut instinct" may be right... I've got a feeling that I've read somewhere that aspartame is one of several chemicals that messes up your gut flora.

Edit: here: https://amp.businessinsider.com/art...-sucralose-damage-gut-bacteria-e-coli-2018-10

Globalti

Legendary Member
I was chatting with a waitress in my hotel in South Africa. She was complaining that she just kept on gaining weight and it had to be said that she was pretty obese. I asked her what she ate and drank and she told me she was chugging her way through two or three two-litre bottles of Coke a day. I tried to explain how much sugar she was ingesting and that she was probably addicted to the "hit". I hope I helped her.

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
A quick alternative to the baked beans that you buy in tins:
buy a tin of beans in brine, drain the brine, fill the empty tin with water, put said water to simmer with the beans, add 2 heaped tablespoons of tomato pure, stir, simmer for a few minutes, till the sauce thickens.
Not exactly the same as baked beans, because there is no sugar, but: either add some sugar to taste, or add other seasoning to taste.
This way, you can control (or not) the amount of sugar in the beans.

I tried this this evening and can confirm it works very well. No added sugars, just a little dusting of curry powder plus a few assorted herbs and spices I have and it is delicious and much fuller in flavour than the sauce the pre-prepared beans come in.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I tried this this evening and can confirm it works very well. No added sugars, just a little dusting of curry powder plus a few assorted herbs and spices I have and it is delicious and much fuller in flavour than the sauce the pre-prepared beans come in.
If you have time, try once with dried beans: try Borlotti beans, fava beans black eye beans.
Soak overnight, boil on high for 10 min (eliminates gases present in pulses harmful to human digestion, ie give you a sore stomach), drain, then simmer until tender in your preferred homemade sauce :hungry:

Top Bottom