Sugar...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
Any one else finding it hard to cut sugar out , I ve managed to cut down but just can't cut it out ,
Tried sweetners etc , I woulndnt say I have a craving for it , but somethings , tea for example , I just have to have a bit ,

vickster

Legendary Member
Not taken sugar in tea or coffee for about 30 years, but I have a sweet tooth so get it from many other sources

All ok in moderation, could try a more natural brown sugar rather than refined white, or honey if looking for a more natural sweetener?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I also have a sweet tooth. I love choccies, ice creams and sweets and can gorge myself silly some times. I can't abide sugar in my tea, but with coffee I have to have sugar.

Mrs M

Guru
I am a sweetie monster :crazy:
Have managed to cut down sugar in tea and coffee to less than a teaspoon, sometimes use the Candarel powder stuff :dry: A teaspoon in your coffee should be ok I imagine (unless you're drinking 40 cups a day) :ohmy:

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
I was shocked when I found out how much sugar is in processed foods. A teaspoon in coffee a few times a day might even be dwarfed by the amount in some products. I believe it is partly due to manufacturers removing fat so as to sell us 'low fat' versions and replacing it with sugar for taste.
It might be relatively easy to get under a daily allowance for sugar intake by keeping it in coffee but removing some/all processed foods?

Could start here?
I've also watched

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uaWekLrilY

Which is actually rather more informative than this trailer suggests.

Good luck.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It's just like any other change in familiar behaviour - it's weird/unpleasant at first, then your body adapts, and the new 'way things are' is established. I was advised to give up sugar in drinks after an operation, and did, after 50-odd years. Tea & coffee both tasted rank at first. But I got used to it. Now I dislike them with sugar. I'd say the changeover probably took about a month.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I also have a sweet tooth. I love choccies, ice creams and sweets and can gorge myself silly some times. I can't abide sugar in my tea, but with coffee I have to have sugar.

I'm opposite. 1 sugar in my tea, but none in coffee ! I try not to have too many sugary snacks though.

byegad

Legendary Member
I too cutout sugar in tea and coffee. In my case some 47 years ago. Prior to that I put two spoons in all my hot drinks, but now I only add a spoonful of brown sugar to a proper coffee (Not instant.), and that only once in about 50 cups. I actually prefer tea without sugar and usually prefer coffee of all sorts the same way. Why I occasionally add sugar to coffee I don't know.

Slick

Guru
I've never taken it in tea, and can't stick coffee which is fortunate as I do have a weakness for sugary snacks. I still think the food chain as a whole is seriously in danger of doing us serious harm for a whole host of reasons, mostly money but probably not going to the producers. Milk for example, who would allow a government body to dictate to them to sell their wares at a loss?

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
The truth is that if you exercise a lot, you need sugar to feed your muscles so sugar is good for you but it is like anything else, in moderation for day to day living. Nobody mentions salt, yet it is very harmful for your arteries as it hardens them . I never add salt to my food as there is enough of it in it already. I am always amazed when I see people putting loads of salt on anything they eat.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't much like it in hot drinks and the other classics, but as others note, unless you're chain drinking tea with eight sugars then it's likely to be outweighed by sugar in processed foods and desserts in general. I quite like a sweet dessert but the sugar they contain is often startling so that's my challenge.

Top Bottom