Suggest a 4 day tour in UK please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
andym said:
The routes will still be there next year or the year after!

Why not start from Bristol and see how far you get?

I know I probably will buy more than one map... but need to at least prioritise which ones I will buy. Certainly thinking about the Lon Las Cymru one - not the whole bit but perhaps making a loop from Bristol Cardiff Northward then back down to Chepstow. So I will definitely send off for that map.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think I would tend to think of Somerset more in terms of day trips - plus the flatter bits are ideal for doing with the kids.

RedBike

P.H said:
I rode the Pennine Cycleway a couple of weeks age, of the Sustrans routes I've done* it was the most enjoyable. You'd be pushed to do it in 4 days (I took 6) but the middle section is probable slightly better than the ends.
A few photos here;
http://www.derbyctc.org.uk/pictures/PCW/

You have no idea what you've just done!
I've just started looking for what i've done with the trailer, started to work out which sustrans maps i'm going to need.

I can feel a tour coming on..

Tony

Not read the other suggestions.....but from Ipswich, up around the coast to N Norfolk coast, South to Norwich.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
How about the Dales Cycleway? Four or five days (we did it in three, despite getting food poisoning, but four or five would be better). Starts and ends in Skipton. Reccommended.

Things I have done by train from Brum:

Abergavenny to Birmingham - 2 days but could stretch to 4 depending on which way you went
Lancaster - Darlington across the yorkshire dales - again 2 days but could stretch to a really spectacular 4 day ride
Penrith - Berwick - 4 days going via Hexham, Bonchester Bridge and Gifford
Haltwhistle - Morpeth, staying in Hawick and Holy Island
Tour of Dorset starting and ending at Taunton, staying in Dorchester and Midsomer Norton (don't go there, it's rubbish) - days
Half of Lon Las Cymru starting at Cardiff and ending at Leominster - 2 days
Whitehaven to Tynemouth - 3 days.

paulK

Fancy some off-road?

How about Route 4 Bristol to Reading, North on Route 5 but divert off to Goring & Streatley, Ridgeway to Avebury, Route 4 link to Calne & Chippenham, then regional route 17 back to Bristol.

Probably just short of 240 miles at a guess.

For a shorter version, take Route 4 as far as the Marlborough link, somewhere around Pewsey, then come back through Avebury etc on the Route 4 link.

Should knock 100 off, just about.

andym

Über Member
paulK said:
Fancy some off-road?

How about Route 4 Bristol to Reading, North on Route 5 but divert off to Goring & Streatley, Ridgeway to Avebury, Route 4 link to Calne & Chippenham, then regional route 17 back to Bristol.

The Ridgeway down to Avebury is well worth doing (but it has a reputation for getting very muddy in wet weather). Alhough you probably could do it on a tourer it would be more comfortable on an MTB. The whole area around Avebury is full of historic treasures.

IF you want flat" then there are the "Severn and Thames" cycle routes which go from Gloucester to Newbury along the tow rivers with a couple of small detours inland.

If it goes well you can then add in the Newbury - London stretch of the "Thames Valley" route

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well the maps arrived - I ordered several different ones - I LOVE maps.

Anyway looking at the Lon Las Cymru route - it would take more than 4 days - still might do it ... but also wondering about doing Bristol to Cardiff (NCN 4) then upto Glasbury (NCN 8) and down to Chepstow (NCN 42) and back to Bristol.

If I was going to do that route is it better clockwise or anti-clockwise?

Top Bottom