Suggest a 4 day tour in UK please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I did the Devon C2C last year and really enjoyed it. And I want to do another one this year (can't be too long as we have to park the kids at the grandparents).

I want to decide now so that I could buy the sustrans maps whilst they are half price. Open to any suggestions, I can always save them for another time. Not the biggest of miles - somewhere between 30 - 50 in any one day depending on the conditions and what there is to see on route.

Last time we used the train to get to the start and finish, but we could use the car if it didn't have a train link.

We B&B'd it last time, and I assume we would do the same this time - unless I start buying all the kit necessary (and I'm hopeless at packing light).

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
The car is of limited value if the route is a linear one i.e. you end up four days ride away from it.

The C2C is good as is Walney to Wear (W2W) and Hadrian's Cycle Route. I've done all three and Tha last one is easier on the legs. It can also be shortened if you are just satisfied by using the coast to coast element of the route.

andym

Über Member
Lon Las Cymru?
West Country Way?
South Coast?
or route 4 say to Reading?

Or if you want to go further afield Suffolk is lovely (though the route along the Suffolk coastline is not part of the NCN). Or there's the northern C2C. Or Hadrian's cycleway. Or Scotland..... [etc etc]

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
OK - off to look up some of those, I've not heard of some of those.

(Car was just in case it wasn't possible by train but yes it would then have to become circular).

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Most of the place I would go would involve a day the train each way for you, but if you didn't mind that, then I would recommend spending the other two cycling around Arran. Sorry can't be more help:sad:

Dr Smut

Sustrans coast and castles (newcastle to edinburgh) is about 4 days with good rail connections each end.

Or if you like hills, a section of the Pennine Cycleway?

Otherwise Id echo the suggestions of Vernon.

Danny

Legendary Member
Another vote for Hadrian's cycleway.

And there are (relatively) good train connections at either end.

P.H

Über Member
I rode the Pennine Cycleway a couple of weeks age, of the Sustrans routes I've done* it was the most enjoyable. You'd be pushed to do it in 4 days (I took 6) but the middle section is probable slightly better than the ends.
A few photos here;
http://www.derbyctc.org.uk/pictures/PCW/

C2C
Reivers
Hull Fakenham
Lon Las Cymru
Derby York
Hadrians Way
And sections of a few others

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If you have to travel too far it'll eat into your touring time presumably?

JackE

Über Member
How about getting the ferry to Cherbourg, then cycling to Caen for your return boat. There is a lot more to the Carentan Peninsula than the D-Day beaches.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm tempted by various of those suggestions ... and some nice photos too. Oh choices choices.... oh to have the time, money and someone looking after the kids and do them all.

Niblox

Hi there

I am looking for a travelling companion for the 215 route between Glasgow and Inverness, but I am thinking of taking it over a week, which is probably too long. It is Route 7c of the NCN. If you're interested, drop me a line.

Niblox

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Niblox said:
Hi there

I am looking for a travelling companion for the 215 route between Glasgow and Inverness, but I am thinking of taking it over a week, which is probably too long. It is Route 7c of the NCN. If you're interested, drop me a line.

Niblox

Thanks for the offer but part of the enjoyment of the trip is having time away from the kids with Mr Summerdays. Adults understand you will eventually get fed even if it is 4 hours after the suggested time, and you can pass an ice-cream van without 10 mins of protests!!!

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
User76 said:
Train to Penzance, then cycle (to then) from Lands End to Bristol on NCN 3?

Wouldn't that take more than 4 days though it does sound tempting... (do LEJOG in bits over several years).

If I'm going to order anything half price I'm going to have to make my mind up soon.

andym

Über Member
summerdays said:
If I'm going to order anything half price I'm going to have to make my mind up soon.

The routes will still be there next year or the year after!

Why not start from Bristol and see how far you get?

Top Bottom