Suggest A good lightweight LONG touring combination lock?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

I want to carry two locks. I have two already but one needs to stay home to lock up my sons bike. So I want to get a lightweight LONG cable combination lock so I can run it between both wheels etc. What's good for that?

jely

jely

um, going on with locks - do you lock your panniers to the rack? if so, what do you use/how do you do it? thanks

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

thanks for that link mate...that looks like what i want.

locking panniers to the bike, well it depends on where i am. To b ehonest there isnt much I can do to stop a determined theif and they can always leave th ebag and just open it and nick the contents...so.... Mostly I dont bother locking panniers unless i feel the bike is at risk and i cannot avoid leaving it, like outside a supermarket when buying food for dinner etc...then i do this:

I take one of the cable locks and run it through the rear wheel, the frame and the saddles metal bits underneath it. Then i run the cable through the railing or whatever...see why it needs to be long? The rear panniers are clipped onto the rack and i also used a couple of those bike tie jobs to tie each bag to the other one through the rack...it wont stop a theif but it will slow them down a little.

Then I will take the other cable and run it through the front wheel, front bag loops, frame and railing.

If it's a right dodgy area I forget about the front wheel thing above and use that lock to run through the rear lifting pannier loops and the frame...the thief would need a knife then to remove the rear bags, which some carry but opportunists generally dont...erm...except in Essex!
Then I remove the bar bag and front panniers and put them in the supermarket trolley and take them in with me...there was one place I went to where I was worried about a gang of chavs hanging around so i removed all five bags and took them with me...it's an option right.

Both cable locks have separate combinations just in case some piece of low life gets lucky with one combination.

I dont like locks with keys because I always lose them and am forever flapping around trying to remember which one is for which lock etc.

Another thing...leAVE the bike in a busy visable area, not in a back alley etc...or even better...keep riding until you feel it's safer to leave your bike.

P.H

Über Member
The £10 locking skewers you find on Ebay will do a better job of securing your wheels than a cables lock and you're actually saving weight.
You then only need a smaller lock, buy one that looks chunky even if it's not, braided cable is harder to cut than strands, though combinations are easier to break than key locks.
Although neither a cable or combination, I use the Abus folding lock when touring alone;
http://www.abus.de/us/main.asp?ScreenLang=us&select=0104b11&artikel=4003318335679

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Bigtallfatbloke said:
I want to carry two locks. I have two already but one needs to stay home to lock up my sons bike. So I want to get a lightweight LONG cable combination lock so I can run it between both wheels etc. What's good for that?

At no additional expense you could remove the front wheel and lock it to the rear.

You could also just lock the front wheel - the thief will find it impossible to ride the bike on just the rear wheel unless (s)he gets a front wheel from another bike.....

I've grown quite attached to the Kryptonite cables used with standard size combination lockes. The cable ends go through each other to fix to something solid, through frame and wheels the loop and lock finishes the job. Two cables can be linked together if needed. I use 2x 4ft rather than the 7ft version. Considering getting a 30ft to run around the shed securing several bikes to anchors and each other.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDeta...00001803&N=Kryptonite KryptoFlex 7 Foot Cable

Top Bottom