Suggested mind exercises/games if trapped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Was in an author event a few days ago.
Dawned on me very early that it was going to be awful.
So 60 to 90 minutes loomed.
Clearly as a polite person I couldn't get a book out or start twiddling on the web.
Couldn't leave either due to layout of room.

Any ideas with what to do with my mind in case this happens again?

With some of the things I go to I fear it will.

Prepare me.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Play bingo? Write a list of buzzwords you think likely to be used by different speakers and score one every time you hear it. We do it with my 90 y.o. Mum when she repeats the same old stories we've all heard dozens of times.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Go to the toilet. Do not return.
Not terribly original yukon :smile: - and would seem odd, as a grown adult to need a toilet two minutes in.
This technique did though I think used to be used by women now and again - had it used with me once or twice in my youth :smile:

Rocky

Hello decadence
I mentally walk my way through the Pennine Way (one of my favourite hikes) - starting at Edale and ending at Kirk Yetholm. As a variation, I mentally replay my LEJOGLE that I did in 2012. If I go into enough detail, I can string both out for an hour or so. Have you any epic journeys you can think through?

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I mentally walk my way through the Pennine Way (one of my favourite hikes) - starting at Edale and ending at Kirk Yetholm. As a variation, I mentally replay my LEJOGLE that I did in 2012. If I go into enough detail, I can string both out for an hour or so. Have you any epic journeys you can think through?
Not sure I have memories of any in such detail. Will give some thought though. Thanks.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Go through the alphabet thinking of people (famous or otherwise) with the same letter first and last name eg Alexander Armstrong, Boris Becker, Charlie Chaplin etc. Obviously some letters are pretty impossible, but when you get to the end, start again with AB, BC, CD etc.

Was in an author event a few days ago.
Dawned on me very early that it was going to be awful.
So 60 to 90 minutes loomed.
Clearly as a polite person I couldn't get a book out or start twiddling on the web.
Couldn't leave either due to layout of room.

Any ideas with what to do with my mind in case this happens again?

With some of the things I go to I fear it will.

Prepare me.

Fake a medical emergency with a rapid recovery once you get out.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not terribly original yukon :smile: - and would seem odd, as a grown adult to need a toilet two minutes in.
There speaks a man whose prostate gland is clearly still behaving itself!

I sometimes have to get up in the night, go, come back, and then immediately have to get back up again... :laugh:

PS Boring cultural events are examples of why I choose to be a philistine! (As discussed on our ride last month.) If I find something interesting online I delve further into it. If I get bored I can move on without offending anybody.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Go through the alphabet thinking of people (famous or otherwise) with the same letter first and last name eg Alexander Armstrong, Boris Becker, Charlie Chaplin etc. Obviously some letters are pretty impossible, but when you get to the end, start again with AB, BC, CD etc.

Z would be easy... ZZ Top, obviously.

Top Bottom