Suggestion - Lady Cyclists Section?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
We're frequently told that women are under-represented on this site and they're deterred from posting by males. Would there be mileage in a women's only section where women can discuss issues affecting them freely?

classic33

Leg End Member
There has been one, but some female posters objected against it, so it was removed.

Dag Hammar

What sort of response would there be if it were proposed to have a Men Only section ?

and before some smart a..e replies with a ‘witty’ response, I am not referring to the magazine that carries that same title.

I think the woke brigade have already scuppered this.
If there was to be a women only section then no men would be allowed in there, either posting or viewing. Regular moderation would be needed to ensure that the Me2 brigade were not upset in any way.
But, to avoid problems with equal opportunities legislation there would have to be a corresponding Men Only section. This too would have to be regularly moderated to ensure that only males could post, or visit. Who is going to moderate all that?
Then we have the ever so fashionable trans brigade. Where would their section be, and who would be allowed into it. And how do you prove that you are male/female/male wanting to be female/female wanting to be male or a member of any other politically correct minority interest group.

The forum would collapse under the weight of hipsters and Karens and their self interested demands.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
We're frequently told that women are under-represented on this site and they're deterred from posting by males.
I think the woke brigade have already scuppered this.
If there was to be a women only section then no men would be allowed in there, either posting or viewing. Regular moderation would be needed to ensure that the Me2 brigade were not upset in any way.
But, to avoid problems with equal opportunities legislation there would have to be a corresponding Men Only section. This too would have to be regularly moderated to ensure that only males could post, or visit. Who is going to moderate all that?
Then we have the ever so fashionable trans brigade. Where would their section be, and who would be allowed into it. And how do you prove that you are male/female/male wanting to be female/female wanting to be male or a member of any other politically correct minority interest group.

The forum would collapse under the weight of hipsters and Karens and their self interested demands.
:okay:

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Cycling is for everyone, as is this forum. It would be great to have considerably more women both here, and on two wheels enjoying the fresh air.

As has been discussed on numerous occasions in the past. There needs to be a somewhat different approach to the current MO that would allow women feel safer when outdoors.

Until numbers of women on bikes increase, we will always continue to have a fairly limited number of female posters within the forums.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Issues affecting women 're cycling or general stuff.

If it's cycling then there are no real differences between men and women regarding problems when cycling. The only problems are the stupid comments that a very small number of men make. It's BORING.

If it's general stuff then there are plenty of forums where women can go.

Having a part of the forum just for women won't work. It's a general cycling forum.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
To be fair, it's pretty easy to spot a women specific thread, like bib shorts or saddles etc, with women requesting advice from other women.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
There are already plenty of women's only cycling pages on Facebook.
It's probably outside the scope of a public forum like Cycle Chat.
Anyway, as said above, who would moderate it? :tongue:

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
It just seems to me that a prominent thread on women's issues in NACA is stalling because it is becoming men v women, or at least perceived to be. This is 2021 and the issue of violence against women is an important and current one. My wife had a look at the thread and said, as a woman, she wouldn't touch it because of the toxic attitudes on display by some men and some women.

Yes, this is a cycling forum but it doesn't exist in a vacuum. Maybe a "Safe Space" would allow women cyclists to discuss these important issues freely and openly.

Of course, I'm not the one to say if it's needed or not but I thought it was worth raising either as a forum where only women could see it or where all could see it but only women could post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom