Suggestions For A More Grippy Tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
Eighteen months ago I was cycling across Handsworth Park at a slow speed just after a rain shower, the tarmac paths were greasy (algae and goose poo) and unswept there was a small branch which I tried to steer around, as I tried to do this the bike slid out from under me, I fell sideways and as I put my arm out to break my fall my left shoulder took the full force of the impact with the path. I ended up with a partially torn rotator cuff tendon. After frequent physio visits (before Covid put paid to it) it started to settle after about 12 months. I now only get tendonitis if I over do it with the daily press ups.

Unfortunately this seriously knocked my confidence returning to cycling, I am anxious that if I fall heavily on my left shoulder again I could completely tear my rotator cuff and need surgery. Finally with spring just around the corner I am prepared to bite the bullet and get back on by trusty steed, but before I do so I want to change the tyres on my bike for something far more grippy.

I ride a Thorn Club Tour and I use Altura 56ltr panniers which I used to carry groceries etc home with me so my load can be quite heavy. I am a big guy myself weighing on average 102kg. I use Schwalbe Marathon Plus which provide excellent puncture protection but the rubber is quite hard.

So what I am after are suggestions for a tyre that has more grip. I realise this will probably mean more punctures, but I would rather have puncures and better grip and less chance of the bike slipping out from under me again.

I ride on roads and cycle paths (now avoiding parks paths unswept with goose poo all over them) and do not ride off road.

vickster

Legendary Member

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Unfortunately in those conditions there’s nothing that can help you. With high pressure road tyres there’s just a very small contact point. Maybe switching to a fatter tyre running at a lower pressure might give a slight advantage but you may not have the clearance. Have a read of the suggested thread.

weareHKR

I use these on my 29er Hybrid, might be a bit much for what you're looking for tho, just a thought... :whistle:
DFII.PNG

Continental Double Fighter II -
Design for urban use. It rolls easily and quietly on asphalt. Its shoulder lugs keep it on track on park and gravel road.
I've had them on for a while & perform very well @ a low 40/45psi - (just make sure they fit between the stays, I think x1.9 is possibly the narrowest)

Top Bottom