Suggestions for locking two corner seats together in an L?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just finshed the MDF carcases of a pair of seats for the kitchen, see picture. Once my in-house decorator (ahem) has finished the painting I'm going to be wanting a way of attaching them together as in the photo to give more stability to the arrangement. The tops are to be screwed on because we don't need or want storage, so I'm trying to think of something exterior that will do the job. I could fit two bolts through the top rails inside but that would mean turning the seat on its back, which might strain the structure.

I was thinking that a simple gate hook on the back would hold them together snugly once they were pushed into the corner. Am also toying with the idea of using slotted mirror plates but the ones you get from DIY sheds nowadays are really thin and bendy.

Any other suggestions?

20180214_215210.jpg

KneesUp

Guru
Nice. I think I'd just drill through the batons and put a bolt through - probably using a metal 'reapir plate' or a penny washers as reinforcement. We have an L-shape sofa from the big blue and yellow building, and it is just bolted together through the thick bits of wood, and has so far survived 9 years of so, 8 and a half of them with a child, so it's had a fair degree of being jumped on.

MikeG

Guru
There would be absolutely no structural danger whatever in rotating them through 90 degrees along the axis of the back bottom edge of the right hand box as we look at the photo.....putting the left hand box up in the air but resting on the right hand box.

An alternative is to cut a hole in the back wall of the right hand box so that you can screw the bits together as they sit now. That hole will presumably be up against a wall.

However, that all seems a bit unnecessary. Just screw them together now, then screw the lids on afterwards. I really can't see an issue with that.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
TBH I'd just screw em together and fix the to the wall as well but I wouldn't screw the tops on. I'd screw battens to the underside of the top so that they fit snugly but can be lifted off.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I would simply screw or bolt them together from the inside, and then attach the lids using hinges. That way you can easily access the inside to unattach if required.

You say you don't need the storage, but in the future ?

:smile:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Couple of coach bolts with washers and wing nuts on the other end and jobs a good'n. I assume there is access from underneath so doesn't look like there will be any structural risk to tipping the unit on it's back while doing up the bolts. I would tip it back towards the workmate so you end up with both halves sat on the floor and don't have to lift one unit off the other..... :okay:
upload_2018-2-15_11-57-31.png

sight-pin

Veteran
Ah! didn't realise their is no bottom in the units, i assumed the OP was after a way of joining from the exterior.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Oh well you've convinced me, thanks. I'll just stand them in place, bolt them together then unbolt for painting and finally re-connect and screw the tops on. We plan to move house in the next couple of years so I don't want anything too permanent or attached to the house.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Nice. I think I'd just drill through the batons and put a bolt through - probably using a metal 'reapir plate' or a penny washers as reinforcement. We have an L-shape sofa from the big blue and yellow building, and it is just bolted together through the thick bits of wood, and has so far survived 9 years of so, 8 and a half of them with a child, so it's had a fair degree of being jumped on.

I suspect you have the same one as me. Recently took the whole cover off for a wash (too big for machine, did it in the bath!) and discovered it comes apart, just two halves stuck together by slotting hooks into sheaths.

Top Bottom