Suggestions for warm waterproof jacket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ishaqmir

Hi

I’m after a warm 100% waterproof jacket for my cycling. Because it’s an e cargo bike I’m not interested in cycling specific jackets, as I won’t be sweating and therefore comfort is the top priority. Ideally something I could wear throughout the seasons when windy/wet. Nice fit, neither baggy nor tight. Good visibility would be a bonus...
Thanks

snorri

Legendary Member
Perhaps Google 'workwear waterproof clothing' or visit your local workwear supplier. I doubt if the same jacket would give comfort throughout the year. I had an excellent waterproof jacket with a quilted liner which could be removed in summer.

I think warm & waterproof will cause you to overheat in milder weather. It looks like, to me, that you want a "system", for want of a better word - a waterproof outer layer that is supplemented with warmer underlayer(s) as you need them.

I'm a huge fan of merino - Decathlon have reasonable options - for under layers.

I use an ex military goretex jacket that is several sizes too large for me. Allows layers underneath in cold weather and is relatively cool in milder weather. Not suitable for hot days though.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
To be warm and waterproof...ish, you need to do layers. Regardless what you spend, the best you can really expect is warm and damp.

I use marino layers and a Gore shakedry jacket.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Altura Varium always worked for me on rides where I wasn't working hard but wanted to stay dry and warm. Not sure if you can still get them mind..

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi

I’m after a warm 100% waterproof jacket for my cycling. Because it’s an e cargo bike I’m not interested in cycling specific jackets, as I won’t be sweating and therefore comfort is the top priority. Ideally something I could wear throughout the seasons when windy/wet. Nice fit, neither baggy nor tight. Good visibility would be a bonus...
Thanks
I use one of these:
https://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/explore-range/product/?pk=F7AB6778-6F62-445E-AEDB-6F36975ED08B
Can usually be had for less then £200 at places like Go-Outdoors.
OK, that's a lot of money BUT, it's never let me down in the most obscene weather whether cycling or walking. It will be warmer than a shell, but can be worn in relatively warm weather due to its breathability and ventilation. Whilst others are constantly donning and removing their shells, I can just keep mine on without faff.
I use it for cycling, touring, mountain walking, dog walking, everyday stuff.
Downsides apart from the price (I think that's investment) is that it's more bulky than a shell-type jacket, but that's not an issue for me anyhow.
Keep it properly Nikwaxed and you'll have a friend for life.

Top Bottom