Suggestions on bicycle alarm innovation?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BikeWatch

Hello!

I and my team of fellow cyclists are taking bicycle protection against thieves to a new level and right now we are developing a new product – bicycle alarm combined with cable and rear lights.

We have a great team of engineers with experience in electronics, mechanics and manufacturing and also some great ideas, but we believe that the best products can only be created together with other cyclists.

Would be great if you could share your experience with bike thieves and I am sure that you have some suggestions on how to make this product better.

You can answer here or check our web page – http://www.bikewatch.eu/, where you can see design sketches, blog and send your ideas directly to us.

Also follow us on twitter and facebook. We will post updates and answer questions also there.

Looking forward to hear your thoughts!

Regards,
BikeWatch team

classic33

Leg End Member
Hello!

I and my team of fellow cyclists are taking bicycle protection against thieves to a new level and right now we are developing a new product – bicycle alarm combined with cable and rear lights.

We have a great team of engineers with experience in electronics, mechanics and manufacturing and also some great ideas, but we believe that the best products can only be created together with other cyclists.

Would be great if you could share your experience with bike thieves and I am sure that you have some suggestions on how to make this product better.

You can answer here or check our web page – http://www.bikewatch.eu/, where you can see design sketches, blog and send your ideas directly to us.

Also follow us on twitter and facebook. We will post updates and answer questions also there.

Looking forward to hear your thoughts!

Regards,
BikeWatch team

I already have a vibration activated alarm, fastened to the lower part of the wheel. Bike is moved alarm sounds. Cost £10.00. Lights I have always kept seperate. How loud is the alarm?

Followed the link & it shows a cyclinder lock. Will this contain any plastic parts, without which the lock cannot function? Reason for asking is there are products out there, that will melt superglue & almost all glues, however they also destroy most plastics within seconds. This can render the lock unuasble in nearly every case.

AndyPeace

I've got a motion alarm too, I have never bothered using it. It occurred to me it was limited in that even if the alarm sounds, it wouldn't take much to crush/ submerge the unit disabling the alarm. plus there's the response people give to car alarms... round here they walk on by! For me to be interested in such an alarm, it would have to be hidden inside the bike frame, inaccessible to thieves and have the option to alert a mobile phone and be able to photograph the felon (also sent to your mobile) Throw in a gps tracker and I'm sold on the idea, provided it all weighs less than a nats balls.

snorri

Legendary Member
It looks as if all the owner would be left with is the seatpost and security mechanism:sad:
If the thief loosened the fixing bolts at top and bottom of the seat post he /she would be away with the rest!

Or have I got that wrong?

AndyPeace

It looks as if all the owner would be left with is the seatpost and security mechanism:sad:
If the thief loosened the fixing bolts at top and bottom of the seat post he /she would be away with the rest!

Or have I got that wrong?

Spot on! The movement would set the alarm off but its not much good if your bike is elsewhere!
I do really like the links V posted... the headset cap design of the gps tracker looks to be a cunning idea. Although it doesn't sound an alarm like the OP's unit, it does give you a direct alert by text and gps/gsm positioning on where your bike has gone.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I run the spybike and its pretty good imho, it has some good functionality and options.. When it detects movement it alerts you which permits you to check on the bike before it actually gets taken.
And should it get taken you have a good chance of getting it back, even when inside you can get a SMS of the device showing its location and its reasonably accurate in this regard... You can text the bike also and get a status from it.
Its not the complete solution imho but its certainly a decent part of the solution imho

Top Bottom