Suggestions on rear-mounting a GoPro camera?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Hi, @gaz! :hello: Thanks for dropping in, mate. Excellent video! Mounts 2 and 3 look nice, so where would I get them? I've seen nothing like them before.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I got the K-Edge saddle rail mount, and it performed very well today! :smile: I had to remove the Topeak Dynapack seat post-mounted saddle bag to make room for it, which is a pity, since I like that particular brand and model of saddle bag. Instead I'm using a Deuter top tube-mounted bag, and one of those barrel-shaped handlebar-mounted bags: between those two, I can carry just about anything I really need to take with me. I am of course using mudguards, and (thanks to my long legs and 6'3" height) my seat post is extended fairly high, so the rear GoPro is safely away from road water and dirt, I think. I've just copied the rear camera's video files to my home PC, and the quality is of course excellent :smile:.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I'm surprised none of the anti-camera folk have been along to suggest sticking it up your arse!

GC
Me too, but they can if they want. I'll just try to ignore their responses, and pay attention to my fellow cycle-cammers who have the technical tips I'm after :thumbsup:.
Speaking of which: @gaz, @Mr Haematocrit , @downfader , and any other cycle-cammers whose names I just can't recall right now (so no offence intended by omitting you): I have a question still related to this thread. The rear-facing camera seems to pick up a lot of bike frame noise. I was wondering how this might be muffled? I was considering putting some strips of rubber where the K-Edge mount clamps onto the saddle rails, but was concerned it might make the mounting point less secure. Suggestions?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
You'll get that from any frame mounted camera, you just need to turn the volume of the clip down when you edit it.
It's because of all the vibrations that are put through the frame and it gets to the camera and picks it up.
You could try some rubber, but not sure on the results.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Another option is (if you have drops) mounting it on the very bottom of the right hand bar facing backwards.
I'm going to experiment with that for my Contour.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
You'll get that from any frame mounted camera, you just need to turn the volume of the clip down when you edit it.
It's because of all the vibrations that are put through the frame and it gets to the camera and picks it up.
You could try some rubber, but not sure on the results.
True, and saddle rails act like some sort of amplifier from the vibrations travelling up from the stays, seat post and top tube. I had the same problem with the handlebar mount, though a strip of innertube does dampen it quite a bit.

Reactions: gaz
Top Bottom