Suggestions please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
My youngest who still lives with us has invited us out for a meal to meet his future in laws. Now I will want to pay the bill, how can I do that without the others trying to do the same. I imagine most of us have been in that situation.

My thoughts were to get there early and give the place an open card payment.

That should do the trick, but maybe your son's in-laws might think you're being a bit flash. Have you met them before?

Just say when the menus are being read that 'this meal is on me and you can get the next one,' thereby making them feel more comfortable.

Possibly.

winjim

Smash the cistern
At the point where you notice the meal is finished and nobody is going to order any more, get up to use the toilet. On the way back, discreetly accost the waiter with a credit card.

TVC

Wot Dayvo said.

If her dad turns out to be the gorilla that cut you up last week you csn decide not to buy his chips.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Actually on second thought, my way is a bit weird and sneaky. I'd go for Dayvo / Rocky's suggestion.

Is this just a meal or a congrats on engagement or a we are having a baby news breaker meal?

If it was me, I would phone ahead and give the card details for the meal and reservation, explaining the situation and try and blag a free bottle of wine/beer etc.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Like Dayvo & Rocky said. It can get embarrassing if someone is too pushy in trying to pay.

And congrats on the engagement btw :smile:

Levo-Lon

Guru
At the point where you notice the meal is finished and nobody is going to order any more, get up to use the toilet. On the way back, discreetly accost the waiter with a credit card.

thats what i always do...then when they start haggling just say its paid ,you may tip the waiters

Drago

Legendary Member
On a serious note, the last time this arose for me I excused myself on the pretence of going to point Percy at the porcelain and used the sneaky opportunity to settle the Bill.

Top Bottom