Suggestions wanted......pleasant off road routes in Cheshire area.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Having just posted a thread about Llandegla it dawned on me that there must be lots of pleasant and NONE TOO DIFFICULT off road rides around Warrington/Cheshire.
Being new(ish) to off road I am hoping for some pointers.
I enjoy the Penine Way and found a nice 27 mile route... Warrington-Runcorn-Widnes-back along Sankey canal.
Going the other direction is OKish.......not as pleasant lots of walkers which takes the edge of cycling.
I'm nearing 68 yrs old and reasonably fit but want rides that reflect my age i.e. NOT "serious" off roading.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Delamere?

That is also on my "to do" list BUT.........Delamere is a big area...... Bearing in mind my limitations where/which routes can you suggest?
Look on strava where people go in the area. As for Delamere itself, most of the best bits are round the outside. It can be muddy this time of year though.

Twinks

Über Member
Disused railway. Macclesfield to Marple.

Routes can be combined with canal towpath.

A nice loop is to start on the canal at Marple locks (on Brabyns Brow) being careful to take the split to Macclesfield, follow canal to Macc, then join Middlewood Way (by Tescos) back to Rosehill at Marple. Follow cycle route signs down to Chadkirk, then after crossing river bridge turn right and up lane and right onto canal again back to Marple locks.

Cavalol

Guru
Delamere, The Wirral Way, the Millennium path (Chester-Deeside-Chester) or the canal towpaths all good fun. The Millennium is all hard paved though, so no real 'challenge' as such, but a really nice, totally traffic free ride.
Canal towpath from Ellesmere Port Boat Museum to Chester is a pleasant enough ride, you can park there and come back via (mostly) quiet back lanes should you wish, or take the path through the middle of Chester Zoo and rejoin the canal.

The Wirral Way can be accessed from Hooton railway station car park, and is traffic free. The surface area is sort of gravelly, I suppose, and there's a pretty much hassle free route to Neston and beyond.

Note: Wirral Way and Millennium have large numbers of dog owners (inc. us on the Millennium!) some of whom are 'less responsible' than others, from dog muck to dogs off the lead wandering all over the shop. The ride makes up for it though, you come back along the river Dee from Shotton on a warm sunny day and you'll absolutely love it.

Siclo

Veteran
Oh Rivington is not too far <don't know what your transport arrangements are> it's good riding, can get a bit more challenging up on the pike etc.
Further afield is Bacup quarry - bit serious this
Evrn further is Gisburn Forest in the Forest of Bowland - put this on the 'must do' list - stunning scenery variety of levels / length trails - can't recommend enough

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Oh Rivington is not too far <don't know what your transport arrangements are> it's good riding, can get a bit more challenging up on the pike etc.
Further afield is Bacup quarry - bit serious this
Evrn further is Gisburn Forest in the Forest of Bowland - put this on the 'must do' list - stunning scenery variety of levels / length trails - can't recommend enough
Thanks
Will google Gisburn Forest.
I have a car ane intend to get a cycle rack.

Top Bottom