Suitable footwear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mortiroloboy

cyclebum said:
Thanks for this advice but it all depends on luggage space/weight. My helmet I am taking in my hand luggage, but I am already taking my saddle (kindly loaned by Mickle and loving it:smile:), by the time I have added 1/2 of Boots and the other 1/2 of superdrug, my sleeping bag that having taken it out cannot get it back into its bag:sad:,trainers ect.. I am begining to worry whether I have any room for clothes. This is 1 trip where there is no room for straightners or hairdryers, but I have invested in 4 buffs including 1 with a peak:smile:

Save space, wear your helmet, too many buffs! You only need two max, so what if it gets a bit pongy, you can wash it when you get home, decant all your toiletries into small travel bottles, as for clothes, just a loincloth...It was good enough for Mr Ghandi!:smile: Good luck and God's (whichever one) speed etc.

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

User259iroloboy said:
Save space, wear your helmet, too many buffs! You only need two max, so what if it gets a bit pongy, you can wash it when you get home, decant all your toiletries into small travel bottles, as for clothes, just a loincloth...It was good enough for Mr Ghandi!;) Good luck and God's (whichever one) speed etc.

Difficult to sleep on a plane in a helmet, need my buffs - 2 for day wear ( peak when helmet off, other to protect my neck) and 2 for nightwear (1 to hide helmet head and 1 to keep my head warm on the cold nights in the tent. besides I have to have enough choice to colour coordinate! Toiletries already in minatures, and me in nothing more than a loin cloth would definately upset the locals, not to mention my cycle buddies!

Tynan

Veteran
take the bare minimum and buy clothes at least out there? you know they'll be cheap and will be fine out there, leave them to charity or whatever at the end of the stay

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

Nice idea but...The plan is to leave some bits out there, however on arrival there is very little time before we start cycling (this isn't a holiday you know!). Friday is arrive and transit to Agra. Saturday is bike allocation and set up which with 74 of us takes quite a bit of time. We do squeeze a visit to the Taj Mahal and a few other sights, but unless you are lucky enough to be among the first to have you bike done, there is little time for too much else apparantly. Sunday we set off at 8am and after that is is 5 days hard slog and camping.
Once at Jaipur we do have some time to shop and sight see which I fully intend to do. We have a celebration dinner on the last night and for that our intention is to buy local which will then be a lovely souvenir.

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

fossyant said:
Yeh yeh..... riding a bike somewhere else in the world (for a good cause) in hot weather.....no holiday.......my ar$e ! :smile:

actually its my ar$e at risk here, plus risk from Dehli belly with bad water, mosquitos and risk of malaria, abuse from unfriendly locals, and we camp 1 night at the edge of a tiger park, what if the tigers don't know the boundries!! this is going to be sheer hell!

Tynan

Veteran
some seemingly obvious advice I've heard from some one that had been

'don't eat street food'

regardless of how good it looks and how much the local love it, they're immune to whatever lays you on your back for week with something ghastly

Jakes Dad said:
Jana ... if you want to wear your Nike shoes but are worried about slipping off the pedals then try these http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...tOrderID=1&f_bct=c003154c003147c003267m005418
I put them on my Mountain bike and they work great and they are only £3.95 and you can fit them to standard flat pedals in a couple of minutes

Simon

Just ordered some...hated the powergrips, so they have come straight off...;)

Will go clipless eventually when I'm feeling brave, for now the miniclips will hopefully do the job!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Noooooooo just get clipless.... ;) old hat ere... you can go like a looney :smile: sprinting for the next set of lights faster than a Ferrari with clipless :smile: ... honest :smile: ... all legal :smile:, you can't do that without clipless........ ;)

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

Just thought I'd let you know I have survived my last big training before jetting off on thursday, though whoever recommended east of Leicester as flat WAS LYING!!;). 45 miles on saturday must be half again from all the hills we did, but I managed even the last one 5 miles from the end.;) Yesturday was 30 miles and started off hilly but we eventually dropped down onto level groung, however we had wicked wind to (try) to cycle into for most of the day. Luckily that meant it was behind us for the last 10 miles or so and with only 1 climb before the end we had a great sprint to finish on a high.:thumbsdown: As for my bum it is amazingly OK, very slight tenderness on 2 pressure points otherwise fine, and I am aware my quads have been working, but they are not painful or uncomfortable. My hubby on the otherhand who came to support me and has never gone more than 30 miles before, feels he will never be the same again! His legs ache painfully and as for his delicate bits..... ouch!!!!

Top Bottom