Summer base layer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Dave5N said:
Jimbo, I always respect your views. The position the OP came from was:

2 layers on the track. Always. "There is no reason at all to wear anything under your SS jersey in the summer." Yes there bloody is and you should know better than to give such duff advice.

Secondly, I am led to believe that modern technical summer bases can keep you cooler than not wearing one. Hence my OP. I wanted to know what's out there and what readers find works well.

This was where I wasn't understanding, I thought the SS Summer top was the base layer, I didn't realise the options for below.

Hugo15

Über Member
I had a similar question a few weeks ago. I went for an Icebreaker Atlas 150. I have been very pleased with it so far.

http://www.icebreaker.com/site/catalog/weight.html?gender=Man&range=IcebreakerGT&weight=150

jimboalee

OK, I admit I didn't notice your reference to the 'Track' until post number 13.

On the track - Yes.

The optimum clothing is that which maintains a 'Neutral Skin Temperature' of 33 Celsius.
Human bodies work at their best when they don't have to waste energy warming up the layer of sweat immediately touching the skin.

There is a 1mm neoprene "Tropical" that can be used to construct an undervest to keep the chest area warm.

On the road, you can rely on the warm draught from the rider in front.

Shrimp_Stu

To resurrect this thread:

I'm thinking of getting a summer base layer but am undecided whether to go for long sleeve or short sleeve.
My cycling is restricted to a 20-25 mile loop on Saturday's & Sunday's (although looking to extend this during the course of the summer)

I currently wear bib-shorts and a M&S climate control short sleeve vest with either a short sleeve jersey or long sleeve jersey.

I was thinking of a long sleeve base layer so I can have some protection if I fall off (if I wear s/s jersey) but then again I thought a s/s base layer maybe more comfortable with a s/s jersey rather than a l/s base?

So s/s base with s/s jersey & l/s base with s/s jersey? or vice versa?

Any opinions? or am I waisting my money getting a base layer as I have the M&S option already: http://www.marksandspencer.com/gp/p...IQJM&keywords=&mnSBrand=core&size=9&rh=&page=

Globalti

Legendary Member
This thread is going round in circles because the second post should have concluded the matter by recommending a Helly Hansen Lifa top. They're just perfect as a base layer at all times of the year, worn under a cycling jersey they keep you warm but not sweaty and they last for years. Worn under a windproof or waterproof they're perfect and just worn alone they have street cred. The same garment has been selling for decades now without change - that's got to be testament enough.

It's the one with the stripes in the sleeves.

A loop, not circles RR! :wacko:
This year, I have invested in new base layer stuff and I am very impressed by the comfort, fit and 'performance' of this.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_Earnley_Seamless_S~S_Base_Layer/5360036768/

Spandex based fabric which feels supportive compared to previous stuff. On a hot or long ride,(done plenty this year) I did tend get a bit sweaty - this layer seems to eliminate the wet/cold feel that can suddenly hit if the breeze gets up. Difficult to explain but you know what I mean... I'm sure the Helly Hansen and others are comparable but I will be getting more of this for sure.
Maybe the effect would translate to track - don't know.;)

redjedi

Über Member
I got a Puma one in Sports World last week for £12, very good quality.

They also had some very nice Nike Pro ones which varied in price from £10 to £20

These ones

Good deals in Sports World, but you've got to hunt around and sizes can be a bit hit and miss

jimboalee

On the road in the summer, wear one SS jersey. They are made of quite good fabrics these days to get the sweat away and evaporated.

As for arms, wear some factor 8.

Top Bottom