Summer base layer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave5N

Über Member
I am in need of some new ones. I want the sort that keep you cooler not make you hotter, and it's all changed again in the past year or so.

Any recommendations? Just what you've used, mind. Not what you've heard.

Ta.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
M+S vest. Works for me.

Crankarm

Guru
Will check out the above Decath link as they do good cheap cycling stuff. Their top cycling shorts are excellent. However my suggestion is an Altura base layer long sleeve in black £15 at Merlin. I bought one to try last year when they were £10.50 and I find it ideal for cool spring/summer mornings or evenings, not too thick that it turns you into turn you into a baked potato. I do wear it as a base layer in winter beneath other layers and it's fine. Does the job :sad:. I have the slightly heavier Cyclone as well but you can only marginally tell the differrence. It is slightly warmer. These are not fleeces so if you go out in -5C with just the base layer you will get cold!

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=category&categoryId=42

yello

MacBludgeon said:
I'm being thick but why Summer base layers?

In my case, to get the sweat away from the body. I hate feeling it run down my back etc. They also keep you cooler. Whether that's because it pulls the sweat away, I don't know, but I always thought that was why you sweat! I thought sweat was the body's natural means of cooling! So exactly how or why they work, I don't know... but they do!

jay clock

Massive member
I agree those Ground Effect tops are not base layers. I just bought two for touring though and they are excellent - particularly good fit for my body

jimboalee

MacBludgeon said:
I'm being thick but why Summer base layers? Followed the Ground Effect link and it looks like a SS jersey not a base layer.

No your NOT being thick.
There is no reason at all to wear anything under your SS jersey in the summer.

All you should have under are the straps of your bibshorts ( if you use bibshorts, I don't )

Not even a folded newspaper in this country.

OP
OP
Dave5N

Dave5N

Über Member
Jimbo, I always respect your views. The position the OP came from was:

2 layers on the track. Always. "There is no reason at all to wear anything under your SS jersey in the summer." Yes there bloody is and you should know better than to give such duff advice.

Secondly, I am led to believe that modern technical summer bases can keep you cooler than not wearing one. Hence my OP. I wanted to know what's out there and what readers find works well.

Top Bottom