England : Kent Summer Cinque Ports Ride 6th Aug & 3rd Sept

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And,pray, what great sights did the great twit
Belay this message!!

I was about to ask what the great twitcher of Deal feasted her bins on today!

OP
OP
Hill Wimp

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Not off road or muddy right?
No not that I could see. It appears tarmac and possibly gravel. I'm doing the whole route on Monday so will update the OP with the terrain. Looking at @Flying Dodo gps map which I have linked in the OP it looks just like the route of the path I saw yesterday.

Just to be clear the cycle path I saw yesterday was NCR 2 I believe between Lydd and Rye. It starts a lot further up but I only saw this part.

Oops wrong bird reserve I was thinking of the Rye reserve to the west of the river Rother. The path from Lydd through Camber is gravel all the way, it starts at Lydd (if heading west) as a well surfaced grit/gravel path but is less well surfaced as you approach Rye, not muddy though.

OP
OP
Hill Wimp

Hill Wimp

Recce ride done on a fabulous day yesterday.

The ride out of Ashford was very simple on a great little cycle path and very quiet roads. Having a local, @Stephen Piper with me was great as i got to check out a bit more of the area including the sound mirrors at Denge @User10571. We couldn't get closer than this but they were still pretty awesome.
56491678.jpg

Unfortunately my camera seems to have eaten my photos of the day so this is borrowed.

Leaving Ashford we quickly hit the quiet lanes down towards Dymchurch and the coast passing the
lovely 10th century church of St Rumwolds the oldest on the Romney Marsh and then crossing the Royal Military canal.

On arrival in Dymchurch at aroud 11miles we rode up onto the Sea wall for 4miles which is a wide tarmac shared path. We then joined the coast road down to Dungeness and on into Lydd. About 4 miles of this road is quite exposed around the power stations and a bit of a drag but once we entered Lydd we joined the NCR 2 cycle path that was to take us into Rye via Camber for the last 10 miles. For those that dont want to do the path, the road does run parallel. The path starts off as tarmac and goes to fine gravel but the last mile or so we will rejoin the road. We did do all the path yesterday but the quality of the surface just prior to Rye was brain shaking so we will omit that on the day.

Once in Rye we hit the problem of everywhere we went for food stopped serving at 3pm. This included the Ypres Castle. This may be different on a Saturday however.So more work will be done by me to identify a suitable location including the Globe in the Marsh.

All in all i would describe the ride as verynice, flat and that it is like cycling through a nature reserve for much of it. By that i mean plenty of scenery , wildlife and water. We didnt go round the spit at Dungeness though that can be included to see one of the most popular film locations in the country and the £400000 beach shacks. I kid you not.
2218_13522747_IMG_12_0000_max_476x317.JPG

Currently on at £385000 with Ward and Partners if you're interested.:ohmy:

Final ride date to be decided by the end of the week.

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Only remembered yesterday: contrary to what I posted earlier, only the September date works for me- I'll be in Lancashire on August 6 (Manchester-Morecambe FNRttC).

U

User10571

Recce ride done on a fabulous day yesterday.

The ride out of Ashford was very simple on a great little cycle path and very quiet roads. Having a local, @Stephen Piper with me was great as i got to check out a bit more of the area including the sound mirrors at Denge @User10571. We couldn't get closer than this but they were still pretty awesome. View attachment 135343
Unfortunately my camera seems to have eaten my photos of the day so this is borrowed.

Leaving Ashford we quickly hit the quiet lanes down towards Dymchurch and the coast passing the
lovely 10th century church of St Rumwolds the oldest on the Romney Marsh and then crossing the Royal Military canal.

On arrival in Dymchurch at aroud 11miles we rode up onto the Sea wall for 4miles which is a wide tarmac shared path. We then joined the coast road down to Dungeness and on into Lydd. About 4 miles of this road is quite exposed around the power stations and a bit of a drag but once we entered Lydd we joined the NCR 2 cycle path that was to take us into Rye via Camber for the last 10 miles. For those that dont want to do the path, the road does run parallel. The path starts off as tarmac and goes to fine gravel but the last mile or so we will rejoin the road. We did do all the path yesterday but the quality of the surface just prior to Rye was brain shaking so we will omit that on the day.

Once in Rye we hit the problem of everywhere we went for food stopped serving at 3pm. This included the Ypres Castle. This may be different on a Saturday however.So more work will be done by me to identify a suitable location including the Globe in the Marsh.

All in all i would describe the ride as verynice, flat and that it is like cycling through a nature reserve for much of it. By that i mean plenty of scenery , wildlife and water. We didnt go round the spit at Dungeness though that can be included to see one of the most popular film locations in the country and the £400000 beach shacks. I kid you not.
View attachment 135344
Currently on at £385000 with Ward and Partners if you're interested.:ohmy:

Final ride date to be decided by the end of the week.
I'm intrigued.
Your picture of the 200' sound mirror appears to show people in front of it. Tuesday wasn't - to the best of my knowledge - a Sound Mirror open day.
It is pretty much impossible to get that close to the sound mirror without using the (default position - locked) swing bridge.
Who are they?
What are they doing there?
I'm not, for one moment, expecting you to answer that question, but do feel free to use your imagination and make something up.
This is, after all, the internet. :smile:

OP
OP
Hill Wimp

Hill Wimp

I'm intrigued.
Your picture of the 200' sound mirror appears to show people in front of it. Tuesday wasn't - to the best of my knowledge - a Sound Mirror open day.
It is pretty much impossible to get that close to the sound mirror without using the (default position - locked) swing bridge.
Who are they?
What are they doing there?
I'm not, for one moment, expecting you to answer that question, but do feel free to use your imagination and make something up.
This is, after all, the internet. :smile:
My new phone lost my pictures so i had to use some i found earlier on the internet. However you can see two of them from the distance of the photographer quite easily. They are next to a nice lake.

Top Bottom