Summer ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

... is on its way.
The cucumber plants are flowering & fruiting. The tomatoes are developing & should soon start to ripen. The courgettes & squashes are starting to develop fruits. The french beans are starting to develop with a few inch-long beans showing already. But most of all - the ginger plant has just burst a shoot above ground. Hurrah! ;)

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Ginger plant? GINGER PLANT?

where on earth did you get that from?

And don't say you just started a lump of ginger off on some wet tissue......

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Our tomato plants aren't anywhere big enough to produce flowers yet - I'm envious! ... we must have started them too late. Growing ginger I'm impressed.

Some of my onions are nearly ready...the spinach is going great guns... the courgette plants have doubled in size, the beans are climbing, the mangetout are flowering and I have a whopping crop of spring onions so yes summer has hit leicestershire...

OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

dan_bo said:
Ginger plant? GINGER PLANT?

where on earth did you get that from?

And don't say you just started a lump of ginger off on some wet tissue......

I stuck a lump of root ginger in a pot...

I bought a large lump of root ginger from Morrisons back in late March. Snapped it into four chunks. Each chunk to its own pot of compost. Two of the chunks were buried to a depth of a couple of inches. Two of the chunks laid on the surface (as with an iris). Kept in an unheated greenhouse and occasionally watered. Left to their own devices other than that. The two chunks that were buried to a depth of a couple of inches now have green shoots appearing above the surface. The two chunks left on the surface have not sprouted, but neither have they rotted.

Being a tropical plant I'll be keeping it in the greenhouse and seeing how it goes. I may yet manage to kill it off!

OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

Uncle Mort said:
Another one to try is lemon grass. It grows like the clappers but you need to harvest it at the end of the summer as it's dodgy to overwinter. The stalks of lemongrass freeze really well and they're generally more tender than the commercial stuff.

Ta - I may have to give that a try too. Is it too late for this year?

OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

The ginger..

ginger090610001.jpg

As you see, it's not much yet, and I could still kill it off, but at least it is alive for now!

Top Bottom