Sums up some people's attitudes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
. He'll get the lift to the first floor of a building while I take the stairs. This also applies going down from the first floor.

There must be a good way of embarrassing someone who does that.

Someone just sent an email round work advertising a room in a shared house.

One of the selling points was that it's only a 10-15 minute walk from work, or you can get a lift from the guy advertising it.

Driving to work and back when it's a 10-15 minute walk, every day.

I dunno.

I used to drive a 10-15 minute walk to work.

I already had a car, I was young and it was only a mile with bugger all traffic. And fuel was cheaper :tongue: (tax/insurance didn't matter as I already paid it).

I did ride sometimes in the nicer weather but at that time had no where to put the bike. And would walk some days. Cycling 1 mile in the rain would be rubbish, wet weather gear for that distance pah.

I'm with you fimm, there are plenty of spaces in the furthest reaches of the supermarket car-park, the extra walk is barely more than about 40 seconds... less time than finding a space closer. Weird.

At our one supermarket I found an excellent space that is just around the back of the supermarket, it seems long - but its right against the building so no crossing through "traffic" (just like parent and child are situated) and the whole lenght of the walk is under cover. The spaces are almost always empty so I just broom broom along without going up and down lanes of parked cars to find a space, and slot in. Sorted. There are usually trolleys along this wall as well so can just leave it near the car (proper places, with chains on the wall for them).

My fiance on the other hand wants to get the bus from the high street to the club.

Frankly it defies belief.

I think its all about timing - waiting for a bus for a 5 minute walk might sound strange, but if one turns up (and you're already paid up, metro bus style) then i'd just jump on. I would regulary in one country walk along the bus route where its only a few minutes between stops and keep an eye out for an approaching bus at each stop before jumping on.

mgarl10024

Über Member
When I was a student, I used to work 3-4 miles away from my Saturday job, which was well served by a cycle path. I remember once seeing the warehouse manager's bike parked at the end of the warehouse (he lived about 6-7 miles away) and I remember thinking that my 3-4 mile trip in would be mad, and that his was just plain bonkers.

Now, I'd almost be ashamed to use my car for such a short journey. It's easy to forget how much perspectives can change.

Gixxerman

Guru
Ok you wont believe this but, I used to live on a small road with a cul-de-sac on the end of it, had a small roundabout with a school there, look here:

Where you are in google maps is the distance this women used to drive to said school, so cold morning used to leave car running for 10 minutes then used to all pack them in, then go to vast distance down the end of the road.

Distance 0.1 mi, walk 3 mins.

Unbelievable.

Obesity on the rise?, no wonder...
In a similar vein, I woman who lived up near my sister here (where the red micra is) used to drive her kids to the school at the bottom of the hill (in the direction of the camera). The distance is I estimate is 200m.
She did this rain or shine. Her reason excuse was that she was concerned for the safety of her children walking that distance. Bear in mind there are footpaths on both sides and the road is a cul-de-sac with very little traffic on it.
Oh and BTW, be careful raising this subject of people being lazy. I started a thread some time ago in the recently deleted Politics and Life forum and I was subjected to a lot of abuse and flaming from a small number of our forum.

carolonabike

One of my work colleagues drive his Range Rover 3 miles in to work. Then at luchtime he drives half a mile to the gym, runs on the treadmill for half an hour then comes back to work. :wacko:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Ok i must have been complety mad when i used to cycle to the gym, do 1/2 hour on the bike, weights session, teach an aerobics class then cycle home again .........

When I used to live back in my home town, I lived at the highest point in town and worked at a place at the lower end of town.
Almost always cycled as I didn't have a car when I started there.
A guy I worked with lived just round the corner from me and always drove.

Cycle time (Door to cycle rack right outside our office block on site): 9 Mins
Driving time: 25 Mins (as the traffic was always so heavy) + 3-4 Mins looking for a parking space in the large work car park (the shift workers started before us) + 6-7 Mins walk from car park to office = 35 Mins
(I knew this from two days I had to take the car as I was driving somewhere straight after work).

He insisted driving was faster.

OK going home by car was slighly quicker due to the hill. But overall so much better by bike.

Cosmicned

Sadly a year ago I was one of those twonks who drove 3/4 mile to the Gym - which in two years of attending had no effect whatsoever on my health or weight... or the health of my wallet for that matter... a year later now cycling up to 100 miles a week... 2 stone lighter & fit as a butcher's dog... now even sold the car... mind you just bought a blingtastic carbon roadie so not sure about the healthy wallet bit...!

I still cringe when I think about the stupid laziness...

bryce

Reminds me of when I first started work with a senior director called Howard, who was perenially red-faced and semi-angry (at life and people in general). We used to go around doing various site visits around London using the tube and every time we got to an up-escalator he would storm up the left hand side and sometimes turning round and loudly saying, "you would have thought all these people lived in bungalows! Unbelievable! Just a few little stairs!". Funny but true, it's not hard going up a few stairs and very satisfying when there's a big queue at the bottom waiting to get onto the right-hand side...

Top Bottom