Sums up some people's attitudes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fimm

Veteran
My boyfriend, who is in general very fit, has this weird thing about wanting to park as close to the supermarket door as possible. I do take the piss out of him for it. On the other hand. if I'm driving, I just park in a nice easy to park in space - and then he gives me grief because he has to walk across the car park... Cycling is better because if there are cycle racks they are usually near the door.

Parrot of Doom

"Why" covers a lot of things in the supermarket...

Mainly, "why do people turn into zombies when in the supermarket?"

I'm a great believer in my theory that in studying how people push trollies around supermarkets, one can easily gauge how good a driver they are.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
My boyfriend, who is in general very fit, has this weird thing about wanting to park as close to the supermarket door as possible. I do take the piss out of him for it. On the other hand. if I'm driving, I just park in a nice easy to park in space - and then he gives me grief because he has to walk across the car park... Cycling is better because if there are cycle racks they are usually near the door.

I'm with you fimm, there are plenty of spaces in the furthest reaches of the supermarket car-park, the extra walk is barely more than about 40 seconds... less time than finding a space closer. Weird.

BluesDave

Formerly known as DavidDecorator
I always either cycle walk or get the bus then walk to my club in Putney depending on how much I'll be drinking. More often walking or cycling as in the summer buses are nothing more than mobile greenhouses designed to sweat the life out of you. If I get off at the bottom of the high street then I just walk down to Putney common. Takes about 5 or 6 minutes.
My fiance on the other hand wants to get the bus from the high street to the club.

Frankly it defies belief.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
I've got to say that if I do have to get the car out - which is not v.often - did less than 400 miles last year (!) then I want my journey to be literally "door to door"!!!!

I am happy to walk/cycle/bus whatever and walk between buses and all that but once I am in the car I want to get in it right outside my front door and get out of it right by the front door of wherever I am going!!!

I know it's wierd - it's just me!!!!!

Hip Priest

Veteran
My sister and her husband used to take a 15 minute drive to the gym, do twenty minutes on the running machines, then drive home. May as well just run to the gym and back for nowt!

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I'm working in London at the moment and on my way to Paddington station from the Bakerloo line, there's always a massive crowd of people trying to squeeze onto the single up escalator. I climb the central staircase, which only takes a couple of minutes, with my luggage bag. I often get to the top before the people at the rear of the escalator crowd!. OK, it's a bit of a climb, but good cardio :biggrin: .

I have a good friend of mine, whom I once rented a room from, who has raised being lazy to a Zen level. He'll get the lift to the first floor of a building while I take the stairs. This also applies going down from the first floor. I often have to wait for him as I get there while he's waiting for the lift. He once popped out to get some milk from the corner shop in his car - only 100 yards away :blush: . He did own a bicycle and left it outside in his back garden. Ages later, I went round to see him and was amazed to see the bike in the rear garden, quietly rusting away with a large shrub growing up through it :ohmy: . It was almost impossible to get the bike out without cutting the shrub down to ground level. It had actually grown through the wheels and engulfed the bike!.

tyred

Legendary Member
Why do people have to park right outside a supermarket?, my dad does it and I have a go at him, people try and park nearest the supermarket then actually walk round the ailes, it doesn't make sense.
I don't think we have progressed to drive in supermarkets yet. Maybe someday it will be possible to drive your BMW X5 round the aisles at Tesos....

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I don't think we have progressed to drive in supermarkets yet. Maybe someday it will be possible to drive your BMW X5 round the aisles at Tesos....

Done back in the 50s ... you can guess where ....

Attachments

• Drive through.jpg
    Drive through.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 51

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
So what. I find it a pain in the arse to walk from my desk to the coffee machine. If there was a travelator i'd use it.

Walking's for losers.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Years ago a guy, I used to work with, told me that one winter the snow was so bad he was thinking of phoning in and saying he couldn't make the 5 miles to work. He had just picked the phone up to dial school when he saw the head walking past. He dug the car out and drove in only to find the the head had closed the school as the school buses had been stopped. If only he'd not seen the head
whistling.gif

I often see folks in our village driving to the shop over the road from us. Most live within 1/2 mile.

Top Bottom