Sun Birmingham ID

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daddybus

Über Member
Thinking of offering to buy an old sun (birmingham) bike looks to me to be 50's/60's hand painted with no decals. The lugs look nervex( ish) its got a lot of updated 90's bits on it (wheels chainset pedals) together with old GB arret levers, side pull mk3 sport brakes, hiduminium stem & bars (although I don't think the bakes are original because there's a centre pull bridge bar on the rear stays) dropout serial reads J1982. Any idea on model or age anyone?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
@Spokesmann is the guy for Sun cycles, but weren't they based in Worksop?

Edit - Just googled and they were Birmingham based pre 59. :blush:

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
IMG_20151029_130739.jpg
IMG_20151029_110805.jpg
IMG_20151029_120435.jpg
IMG_20151029_131141.jpg

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
It literally IS in a barn ...only one problem -the guy doesn't know he wants to sell it to me yet LOL..... The seat is gel & the post looks like a modern alloy one with graphics on so errm should be ok?? :whistle:

I think the chain might be a bit big for it! Those lugs look really nice, handcut?

stevevw

Guru
I have seen a Snipe Prestige from 69 with the rear brake braze on but that would make it a Worksop bike as they changed badges in 63. The braze on does look like the one I have on a 60's Carlton Corsa. I think the J prefix may also date it to 60's Carlton build too.
The 1940 catalogue has the diamond head badge and some similar lugs but no wrap over seat stays or brake braze on.
So basically i am of no help what so ever ;0)

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
Thanks for the research Steve ...the seat stays dont quite wrap around Carlton style but they have long flattened ends with a small gap between at the top... Just another thing the frame looks very smooth & shiny under the chipped paint (see pic 2 top tube) ... You don't think it could be. ...no one would paint over a chrome frame.........or would they??

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
After much research... On old posts on here & the net (there's frustratingly scant info on the net about sun bicycles) I think its a Carlton flyer with a hookie sun badge -the serial number would be correct ..the lugs are correct ...the pump braze on's ...all match ... Although loose, It does look like that badge has been on since new tho.... Dammit!!
IMG_20151110_101753.jpg

It's definitely got the same lugs, but that headbadge is a real puzzler! Could it have been something to do with the Raleigh takeover and move from brum to their new home perhaps? There's no obviously filled-in holes where the Carlton badge might've been

Top Bottom