Sun Birmingham ID

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
Definitely no other holes on the head tube (its chromed so I think you would see straight away) that's why I thought sticker (same as my rudge) ....
....I remember when I used to go out for a few pints of a Friday evening instead of examining photos of old bikes on the net haha... what's the world coming to eh? Cheers for the research tho much appreciated :thumbsup:

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
I was about to throw a spanner in the works but then I found a picture of a70s Carlton Criterium which had the pump fixings on the seat tube. A lot of the other Carlton's seem to have them on the crossbar or on the down tube. If your bike originally had a Carlton headbadge I would have thought that there would be some indication of the previous holes in the horizontal position.

That would be the late 60s and very early 70s iteration.

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
@ Spokesmann ... you are the undisputed guru of all things Sun & Carlton on here, blogs & flickr group... Bearing that in mind, any chance you could give me your opinion of what it is & what year it is? I'll take your learned opinion as gospel & I'll put this thing to bed & stop the speculation.... Here are the facts:-
Sun Birmingham badge
Serial J1982 on cyclo dropouts
Grease nipple under bb
Carlton flyer lugs
Centre pull brake bridge
1 pump peg on seat tube
Chromed head
Chromed (half way) top & down tube
There may (or may not) be a ghost image of 'Carlton con' in very small italic typeface on the top tube by the head lug.

When you've got a minute... lol ..
Cheers

I was wondering as the writing consisted of upper and lower case letters and a lot of the Carlton writing was in upper case. The other thing, the badge seems to have one of the original brass rivets rather than a pop rivet if it had been put on later.
I was trying to make some sense of the writing the closest I got to what you have discovered was 'Maillor'. So what you have discovered does that translate into Yellow Jersey?
It has certainly been a puzzle.

More research...:rolleyes: Think it might say 'Maillot jaune' which was apparently a sun model... Can't find any pics tho grrr...

There doesn't seem to be much info on Sun cycles on the net. The remaining bit of paint may help in further research. It was blue and chrome! The blue reminds me of the Sun Mist I had when I was 13.
A good find, you lucky! With your luck you should do the "Euro Minions".

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
@ Spokesmann ... you are the undisputed guru of all things Sun & Carlton on here, blogs & flickr group... Bearing that in mind, any chance you could give me your opinion of what it is & what year it is? I'll take your learned opinion as gospel & I'll put this thing to bed & stop the speculation.... Here are the facts:-
Sun Birmingham badge
Serial J1982 on cyclo dropouts
Grease nipple under bb
Carlton flyer lugs
Centre pull brake bridge
1 pump peg on seat tube
Chromed head
Chromed (half way) top & down tube
There may (or may not) be a ghost image of 'Carlton con' in very small italic typeface on the top tube by the head lug.

When you've got a minute... lol ..
Cheers

To me this sounds around the 60-63 period. Carlton and Sun mixed up the numbering Im sure. As far as I can tell. The Sun Birmingham badge throws me, if it is original and not been replaced it would suggest the frame pre-dates Carlton builds, and is 62. Assuming this to be correct it is 60-62. Sun production was moved to Worksop in 62, so I assume they changed the head badges then, also assuming they didn't use up any old Birmingham ones first!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
To me this sounds around the 60-63 period. Carlton and Sun mixed up the numbering Im sure. As far as I can tell. The Sun Birmingham badge throws me, if it is original and not been replaced it would suggest the frame pre-dates Carlton builds, and is 62. Assuming this to be correct it is 60-62. Sun production was moved to Worksop in 62, so I assume they changed the head badges then, also assuming they didn't use up any old Birmingham ones first!
I was thinking that. Maybe they had a bunch of head badges in stock so just carried on fitting them til they had used em up.

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
Clean her up, strip her down.... new parts & paint -no rush tho its nice & comfy in the lounge ha
IMG_20151206_063028.jpg

Top Bottom