Sun damage through cycling clothing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just saw an advert for some Endura lycra shorts which included the information that they were good at blocking the sun, equivalent to at least SPF-30. I have managed to singe myself on a few rides, but never through my shorts! Is that a real risk in the UK? :whistle:

I remember Team Sky experimenting with semi-transparent kit and Chris Froome getting burned through it, but through normal lycra ...?

I did notice a slight reddening of my arms yesterday after a long ride wearing a lightweight long-sleeved jersey, but that has a fairly loose weave so I can imagine a certain amount of sunlight getting through that.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I don't know what the score is. I had never given any thought to how sun-proof lycra is...

PS I've just been reading around and it seems that lycra is pretty good. Surprisingly, wet bleached cotton** is BAD - maybe SPF-3 or lower! :eek:

**Timer set running at 00:16, 24th June, 2018

classic33

Leg End Member
I don't know what the score is. I had never given any thought to how sun-proof lycra is...

PS I've just been reading around and it seems that lycra is pretty good. Surprisingly, wet bleached cotton** is BAD - maybe SPF-3 or lower! :eek:

**Timer set running at 00:16, 24th June, 2018
Not much sun about at this time o'day!

gbb

Legendary Member
To flip it I remember someone years ago developing (not cycling related) clothes that allowed you to absorb the sun through the clothing.
I'm not one for avoiding the sun at all costs so wouldn't even consider sun blocking clothing. I love the sun and if youre exposed carefully... it's good for you.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
[QUOTE 5288416, member: 9609"]not much sun seems to get through my socks - Mrs Hubbard wasn't as daft as you think livin in side a shoe,
View attachment 415917 [/QUOTE]

My eyes...my eyes....

Some cycling jerseys have mesh areas (those intended more for summer use), and I've found I can get a tan (complete with a mesh pattern) under those bits.
That sounds like an interesting - maybe next year's fashion - look. Must make you look as if you've been griddling yourself - give folk something to talk about.
Good question colin - has long puzzled me - rohan have being doing such stuff for years.

I have when doing lots of summer cycling sometimes developed a large spot on each hand where the gap in my cycling gloves lies. Have tried to convince folk that they were stigmata/signs that i was the chosen one.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've got a very light summer long sleeved jersey and I've noticed it doesn't block the sun a lot and it tends to get my arms a little, the short sleeved jersey I usually wear underneath blocks the sun elsewhere.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm not one for avoiding the sun at all costs so wouldn't even consider sun blocking clothing. I love the sun and if youre exposed carefully... it's good for you.
I'd say VERY carefully!

It depends what skin type you have. My dad was like you - a sun worshipper who could take it. He rarely burned, and got to about 80 before his skin showed signs of possibly cancerous blemishes appearing. My mum was the opposite - a fair-skinned redhead from NW Scotland. She burned very easily and I take after her.

I can allow myself about 20 minutes max in full midday English sun. More than that and I start to burn. Beyond a couple of hours I burn horribly - skin feeling like it is on fire, huge weeping blisters develop, skin peels off. Eventually, heavy freckling and moles. Not good!

I have when doing lots of summer cycling sometimes developed a large spot on each hand where the gap in my cycling gloves lies.
I have had that too so I pay attention to areas of skin like that where I could get caught out - backs of hands and fingers, inside and behind ears, and the bald spot on top of my head - I burned stripes on it once through the slots of my cycling helmet!

Last edited:

freiston

Veteran
Until age took it's toll, I was a red-head (more strawberry blonde now ;)) and I burn very easily - I have gone pink walking round the shops in my lunch break before. I always wear long sleeved shirts/jerseys and long trousers/tights for that very reason. Most "outdoor" clothing offers a reasonable level of protection. My face, ears neck and hands get treated with SP50+ and I wear a hat. On the bike I have taken to wearing a cycling cap.

Top Bottom