Sun Snipe Plus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dr Dave

Hello all. I am looking for some help with this old bike which is much older than i usually work with.

It’s my grandfathers old bike which I think is mid 60s. It looks pretty much identical to one @Spokesmann posted a few years ago. Obviously it’s not in very good shape, but it has great sentimental value. I am wondering if it’s worth repainting and restoring this. It has surface rust but otherwise the frame looks good.

Any recommendations for where to get this done would also be appreciated. I would be very grateful for any other advice anyone can offer

. Thanks!

Dave

carpenter

Über Member
Usually I would go for a repaint on a frame like that.
BUT - as it was your grandfathers (and looking at that lovely seat tube decal) I think that you should dismantle the bike, give the frame a good clean and (perhaps) go for a clear lacquer to protect what is left of the original finish.
Oxalic acid is available on the internet (treat with respect, it is quite toxic - rubber gloves and goggles). Make up a 10% or so solution and brush on to any rust spots before final clean and lacquer.

carpenter

Über Member
Just noticed the saddle - patience and lots of "Renapur" , applied with a small sponge, worked on a 1960's Brooks that I picked up.
It was amazing how much the leather soaked up the wax over a period of several days (I did speed up the process by putting the saddle in to a low, about 40 degrees, oven).

OP
OP
Dr Dave

Dr Dave

Amazing, thank you so much for the advice. I will have a look for the frame number next time I am there. this will be a slow project I think!

I'm keen to hear any more thoughts. Thanks again

dave

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I'm with @carpenter with this. Dismantle and a really good clean up would bring the frame and components looking really good. At first glance a lot of the grime is superficial.

carpenter

Über Member
Amazing, thank you so much for the advice. I will have a look for the frame number next time I am there. this will be a slow project I think!

I'm keen to hear any more thoughts. Thanks again

dave

Take photographs as you go along (people here like that :smile:) and ask as many questions as you need - there are some very skilled bike "do er uppers" here who have encouraged/helped me.

Hi Dave
I have recently joined the forum looking for some advice on my Sun Snipe Plus so thanks for posting your photos etc. My bike is rather more rusty than yours but otherwise complete except for front derailleur. So I am interested in Carpenter’s and others comments on re-paint v restore. The decals on your bike are still clear whereas mine are gone so I see the argument for saving the patina on yours. I would be happy to re-paint my frame but am beginning to think obtaining the correct decals may prove difficult? Any pointers on that welcome. Thanks. Tony

carpenter

Über Member
Paint or powder coat is the question:

I have had both done (on frames which were either already "hand painted" by previous owner, or really so far gone that "patina" wasn't the right word :smile:

Powder coat is great (at least the place I have used is - Maldon in Essex ( https://ctc-powder-coating.co.uk ), but I think the coating is rather thick if the bike has really nice/ornate lugs, the crisp lug definition is lost.

Enamel is more expensive, not as tough (in my experience) but does retain lug detail far better.

H Lloyd is very helpful with decals, although I just had a look on the site for the Sun Snipe and they only seem to have the basic name decal - I really liked the OP's down tube decal and that was part of my reason for suggesting just clean and clear coat to protect what was left.
I should also mention "Cyclomondo" Australian decal provider - very helpful chap, but doesn't seem to have any Sun decals on his site.
I think that either of these decal suppliers will also make up specials if you provide them with photos of the originals - perhaps you could use the photo of the downtime decal from the original post (if Dr Dave is OK with your using it)?

By the way Dr Dave - how's the bike going?

Thanks to Carpenter and Spokesmann for your advice and links. It was Spokesmann’s pictures that prompted me to look into the whole restoration scene. And apologies to Dave if I have hijacked a thread - I will start a new thread with pics in due course.
H Lloyd have Snipe Plus decals in the catalogue and I can see the seat post ‘pursuit titles’ decal in the Chris Barber set so all good. But the titles decal sits on a field of stars and dots; and Spokrsmanns example had additional graphics above and below unlike Dave’s so there does not seem to be a standard picture. It doesn’t help that I cannot recall what was there so will go with simplest.
thanks for paint advice - will likely paint.
Tony

Top Bottom