Sun Snipe Plus - c1965

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
This is my latest acquisition, another Sun, this time a Snipe Plus go accompany my Snipe Prestige. This machine is in astounding condition, the original paintwork is near immaculate, no rust and hardly a mark. The graphics on the 23-1/2" frame are also pretty in intact too, the seat tube is particularly nice. I've still some work to do on it, but I have already replaced the seat with an old Wrights W3N I have been keeping, this was originally on my first ever Carlton back in 1975. The bike is pretty much 85% original, I need to change the seat post and handlebar stem at some point though. 5-speed transmission is by a second generation Huret Alvit mech. Lugs are very plain and simple with white lining. The 28-tooth rear sprocket should help with the hills in Plymouth, the Williams chain set is a 48 tooth affair. Mudguards are period Britannia Sprint Veloce, similar to Bluemels. The previous owner has done some work on this machine and made a very good job of it. Rims are steel with alloys hubs. I flesh out the spec details when I have had a closer look over the machine.

P8010415_zps92b526e6.jpg

P8010419_zps6d55d983.jpg

P8010420_zps6649f00e.jpg

P8010422_zps18b53d96.jpg

Last edited:

HovR

Über Member
This is my latest acquisition, another Sun, this time a Snipe Plus go accompany my Snipe Prestige. [...] The 24-tooth rear sprocket should help with the hills in Plymouth,

Stunning bike in brilliant condition, nice find! Guessing that's a 34 on the back, rather than a 24? The 27 tooth large sprocket on the back of my Peugeot is enough of a challenge around Plymouth way, especially with the single ring up front. :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting!

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Stunning bike in brilliant condition, nice find! Guessing that's a 34 on the back, rather than a 24? The 27 tooth large sprocket on the back of my Peugeot is enough of a challenge around Plymouth way, especially with the single ring up front. :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting!

Ill double check, I have a 36 tooth on one bike and its huge...

Sillyoldman

Veteran
Have you discovered time travel? Looks like it just rolled out of the factory. Stunning

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Been out for a test ride this morning, only 2 or 3 miles. Nothing fell off (inc me) nothing shaking or squeaking. Rear mech need a little work as it a bit sticky getting to top gear, but apart from that its a very solid machine. Spent a good 3-4 hours yesterday building it up and setting to my position for riding. Brakes are fine and my old Wrights saddle most comfortable. I need to invest in another pair of toe clips, I can't ride without them! Ive taken a few details shots whilst riding in my local test track - Plymouth's Victoria Park.

I don't know how to describe the paint finish, it a lovely dark green flam (?), it defiantly not flat colour and not metallic, the light and dark areas around the lugs are very pleasing to (my) the eye.
P8020454_zps731a5c8a.jpg

P8020452_zpsecb6b841.jpg

Don't you love 'S'bolts!

P8020450_zps0b34fa9e.jpg

The lever was a little stiff but will smooth out with use. This machine will be used, the pannier making it great for commenting (fine weather only!)
P8020449_zpsa4d08bfc.jpg

The seat tube graphics are just of their time, when Sun was bait more than Carlton's bargain basement brand?
P8020448_zps5e438051.jpg

My test track - the park is about 1-mile around and great for safe cycling/testing and general pootling around.
P8020446_zps5253c943.jpg

P8020443_zpsbdbe84c3.jpg

P8020437_zps2aa11831.jpg

I love this old saddle...
P8020433_zps9f203ae7.jpg

This needs a little work, Ill reroute the cable first as getting to 5th was a little sticky...
P8020431_zps2061968a.jpg

Clean and uncluttered...
P8020430_zps7fdd76f6.jpg

P8020428_zps00a71332.jpg

Proper Sun branded hoods
P8020426_zpse3585a39.jpg

Carlton wrap over seat stays...
P8020424_zps3b04a9fc.jpg

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

The previous owner told me it was owned by a relative who was very much into cycling/touring in the 60s. The machine has apparently spent most of the last 40 years in a dry loft.

Top Bottom