Sun Snipe Plus - c1965

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Since purchasing the bike I have now fitted a more period correct handle bar stem and saddle seat post/clamp.

Out for a few mikes today...

P8240630_zps54f3ded0.jpg

P8240628_zps440d256d.jpg

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
spokesman I took the bike to a cycle shop yesterday to get the bike assessed for new wheels, tyres and inner tubes. The shop owner seemed to think the bike would cost too much to repair and that I would be spending money on sentiment, I now have a decision to make. ebay for spares / repair or local tip. Geo.

Make your own assessment. Bike shops have a different agenda to yours. You can pick up wheels and parts for projects like that on eBay for reasonable prices.

simongt

Guru
Just picked up on this thread, as a school pal of mine had a Sun Snipe Plus back in 1967. As regarding restoration opinion, I acquired a 1985 Dawes Fox in original, but tatty condition a few years back. The plan was to return it to it's 'former glory', but looking at the steel rims and other 'period but dodgy points', I decided 'sod it' and did an almost complete conversion, with the only remaining original parts being the frame and seat pin - ! But then, particularily with a steel build, the frame is the heart of the bike. And what a lovely bike it is to ride on audaxes - !:wahhey:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Just picked up on this thread, as a school pal of mine had a Sun Snipe Plus back in 1967. As regarding restoration opinion, I acquired a 1985 Dawes Fox in original, but tatty condition a few years back. The plan was to return it to it's 'former glory', but looking at the steel rims and other 'period but dodgy points', I decided 'sod it' and did an almost complete conversion, with the only remaining original parts being the frame and seat pin - ! But then, particularily with a steel build, the frame is the heart of the bike. And what a lovely bike it is to ride on audaxes - !:wahhey:
Yep, sod steel wheels and Simplex/Huret mechs although I've still got the 'suicide' levers on my Equipe.

spokesman I took the bike to a cycle shop yesterday to get the bike assessed for new wheels, tyres and inner tubes. The shop owner seemed to think the bike would cost too much to repair and that I would be spending money on sentiment, I now have a decision to make. ebay for spares / repair or local tip. Geo.

Please don't be offended, but the LBS owner is an arse. what he was probably saying to you in code was it was too much like hard work.

i might have some useable 27" wheels if you wanted some even better if you are local to me
What everyone else has said in spades! All I can say about your bike shop owner is - "what a dick!" Making bikes work again is very satisfying, helps the planet and, being your own [old] bike, will give you immeasurable pride. Most things can be fixed and if you have to find "new" parts, half the fun of this for me is hunting down suitable components. Go for it and good luck :thumbsup:

Top Bottom