Sun Snipe Plus - c1965

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geo-l

Regular
Hi All.
I have just joined the forum after reading about spokesmans sun snipe plus. I have just taken down my garden shed in which I had stored my 1965 Sun snipe plus for many year.
I bought the bike brand new and it still has all original parts fitted including the Brooks saddle. There is I am afraid quite a bit of rust on the chromed areas and needs new tyres.
I was going to scrap the bike but may now turn it into a project. Geo

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hi All.
I have just joined the forum after reading about spokesmans sun snipe plus. I have just taken down my garden shed in which I had stored my 1965 Sun snipe plus for many year.
I bought the bike brand new and it still has all original parts fitted including the Brooks saddle. There is I am afraid quite a bit of rust on the chromed areas and needs new tyres.
I was going to scrap the bike but may now turn it into a project. Geo
:welcome: You know it makes sense, go for it:biggrin:

geo-l

Regular
spokesman I took the bike to a cycle shop yesterday to get the bike assessed for new wheels, tyres and inner tubes. The shop owner seemed to think the bike would cost too much to repair and that I would be spending money on sentiment, I now have a decision to make. ebay for spares / repair or local tip. Geo.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
spokesman I took the bike to a cycle shop yesterday to get the bike assessed for new wheels, tyres and inner tubes. The shop owner seemed to think the bike would cost too much to repair and that I would be spending money on sentiment, I now have a decision to make. ebay for spares / repair or local tip. Geo.
Pretty standard reply from a lot of cycle shops I would ignore this and rebuild it, but then I don't like most 'modern' bikes. :biggrin:

HovR

Über Member

That depends on your definition of "too much to repair". Sure, at bike shop prices, including labour, it might come out at the price of a cheap bike (which I'm sure he'd love to sell you!) - but done yourself with parts sourced on the cheap it doesn't have to be too expensive at all!

Start up a thread and we'd love to help you out! As a bit of a guide, you could probably get this bike running with new brake pads, cables, chain, tires, tubes, wheels for around £100 and a bit of elbow grease - much cheaper than buying a brand new bike, plus the obvious sentimental value the bike has to you!

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...

Please don't be offended, but the LBS owner is an arse. what he was probably saying to you in code was it was too much like hard work.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

i might have some useable 27" wheels if you wanted some even better if you are local to me

geo-l

Regular
i might have some useable 27" wheels if you wanted some even better if you are local to me
I live in Scotland but I have family in henshaw and croylands road Wellingborough. I will try and post a picture of the bike for a 2nd opinion.

sidevalve

Über Member
As to the OP - we are not worthy - that is fabulous ! As for the bike shop not wanting the resto job, commercially they may be right. After all if you ask any restorer of classic m/cycles or cars they will admit the final value is very rarely even half the cost if you include hours spent. Get the bits from E bay etc and do it yourself - happiness may not be a cigar called hamlet but in could well be a bike restoration project !

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Nearly finished this build now. I just have to replace the steam with a more appropriate Gb version. Fitted new tyres today as well as adding toe clips. A copper finish Crane bell added thats finishing touch. A few images of the bike as well as a few details.

P8160576_zps6c7bf8a1.jpg

P8160572_zps2aeecd5a.jpg

P8160563_zps44bace1b.jpg

P8160562_zps79170eb3.jpg

P8160561_zps3f8b5da4.jpg

P8160560_zps3cc0e280.jpg

Non drive side.
P8160559_zpsdd1a58f2.jpg

P8160556_zpsc9f3f6cb.jpg

P8160555_zpsca63c9a2.jpg

I have had this old Wrights saddle for nearly 40 years. It was originally on my very first Carlton - my 1973 Continental.

P8160547_zpsb7dcb280.jpg

P8160544_zps73235a15.jpg

P8160543_zps48bc8e7e.jpg

P8160542_zps45df370a.jpg

The Huret Alvit...
P8160540_zps287303da.jpg

P8160538_zps04ae3b1a.jpg

P8160532_zps36aa96f1.jpg

Top Bottom