Sun Super Vitesse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Been doing a few more jobs on the build. Cleaned the brakes and the chainset and loosely fitted the gears and fittings. One brake has too long a drop, so may well look at 700c wheels for this. Gave the machine an overall wipe down. Still lots of fettling and cleaning to do, but as I have said, Im piecing this together to get a feel how it all hangs... Ordered some very nice Lyotard pedals, some new stays and bolts for the guards. Missed out on some 50s GB Arret levers yesterday though. Sourced some dark blue ribbed cable, so may well go with that. Im looking for a used but not abused Brooks, Lycett or Wrights saddle. The build will have a lot of used patina, but Im pretty sure its going to look period but with a few more modern and practical bits too.

PC178139_zpsknoogufn.jpg

PC178135_zpsk32rjunv.jpg

PC178134_zpskftghtdp.jpg

PC178130_zps4uon9u2y.jpg

PC178121_zpsrtbvlgt9.jpg

PC178119_zpso3vokxqx.jpg

PC178117_zpsjnuwsltx.jpg

Been doing a few more jobs on the build. Cleaned the brakes and the chainset and loosely fitted the gears and fittings. One brake has too long a drop, so may well look at 700c wheels for this. Gave the machine an overall wipe down. Still lots of fettling and cleaning to do, but as I have said, Im piecing this together to get a feel how it all hangs... Ordered some very nice Lyotard pedals, some new stays and bolts for the guards. Missed out on some 50s GB Arret levers yesterday though. Sourced some dark blue ribbed cable, so may well go with that. Im looking for a used but not abused Brooks, Lycett or Wrights saddle. The build will have a lot of used patina, but Im pretty sure its going to look period but with a few more modern and practical bits too.

PC178139_zpsknoogufn.jpg

PC178135_zpsk32rjunv.jpg

PC178134_zpskftghtdp.jpg

PC178130_zps4uon9u2y.jpg

PC178121_zpsrtbvlgt9.jpg

PC178119_zpso3vokxqx.jpg

PC178117_zpsjnuwsltx.jpg

It's really shaping up as it is @Spokesmann .
That chainring is pretty nice btw.

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

if you struggle i might have some 26 x 1 1/4 dunlop lightweight steel rims
Any chance I could see these? Im toying with 700c wheel too..

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

A few more pics from the build, still assembly parts and so on. Decided to go for 26" wheels and a 5-speed block. Will use white cables.

P1068630_zpsgchpsdxd.jpg

P1018397_zps1ct9gzdv.jpg

P1018402_zpsvhjpj4yy.jpg

The rear wheel needed some basic work doing to it in order for the new spindle to fit.

Ive gone for 26 1-3/8" wheels. May well change the tyres though.

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Made a bit more progress this week, fitted some GB bars as well as some rather fetching blue tape. Still need to sort a stem bolt for this lot. Added the GB Arret levers/hoods, although I need the ferrules which fit these so I can fit inner and outer cables. Added some toe clips with blue leather straps. Finally a used B17 for the seat post, which I still need to get. Overall the build is coming along, still a lot to do in order to get the old Bluemels guards fitted on correctly as I have to rivet new supports to the front one and add the mudflap back in as well as adjust the rear one correctly. I still think the 26" wheels look small! More soon...

P1148757_zpsxc6zwtdp.jpg

P1148754_zpstajgzyr7.jpg

P1148743_zps3rb1brwa.jpg

P1148751_zpsrzxwezel.jpg

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

P1188778_zpsk22x2mga.jpg

Work continues on the Sun Super Vitesse. Finally got a seat post that fits, my own stock of 25.4 too msall, my 27.4 too big. 26.4 fits smooth and snugly, after a bit of light filing on the inside of the seat tube to remove some 'lumps'. Still need to source a stem bolt, the current 155mm is too short, need something in the order of 165mm. Next issue is the chain, my stock of 3/32" chain dont seem to sit snugly on the Williams chainwheel - more investigation needed. Ordered some proper GB ferrules for the GB Arret hoods, bloody expensive but the only ones that will fit. Onwards...

Last edited:
Top Bottom