Sunbeam Saga

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Following on from this thread: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/a-sun-and-a-sunbeam.250864/

Mrs OFT really loved the look of the old Sunbeam and got a bit sniffy that it's too big for her to ride.
Fast forward to last weekend and my participation in the the Velo Retro event in Ulverston...............
Wandering amongst the few traders stands, my beady eye spotted a Sunbeam head badge (attached to a bicycle). Well I never - a Ladies Sunbeam in cracking condition. Opportunity for some brownie points, I thought. It was fitted with a new front tyre and the matching new rear tyre was cable tied to the frame. After a bit of negotiation the bike came home with me.
Needless to say Mrs OFT was instantly smitten with her new present and therefore will continue to provide wifely duties until the next time I blot my copybook (usually not long).
Monday afternoon and I set about bunging on the new rear tyre, so Mrs OFT could try out her bike when she got home from work.
I quickly discovered why the back tyre had not been fitted, as I had condemned myself to a four hour fight to get the tyre fitted.
Short version:
The rear wheel cannot be removed without removal of the oil bath chain case.
There is no drive side chain stay. The chain case is a structural component.
The oil bath chain case cannot be removed without removing the chain wheel (cottered).
Not sure whether there is a method to unship the chain from rear sprocket without splitting the chain, but as there was an old-school connecting link I split it anyway).
Reinstalling the chain and joining it again was a challenge.
There are some setscrews and nuts which are almost impossible to access.

Here's a few photos:

IMG_1674.jpg IMG_1675.jpg IMG_1676.jpg IMG_1677.jpg IMG_1678.jpg IMG_1679.jpg IMG_1680.jpg IMG_1681.jpg IMG_1682.jpg IMG_1683.jpg

I haven't managed to identify model or year yet. The SA hub says 74 but must have been a later fitment?
I never saw a twist grip SA gear selector before.

Gary E

Veteran
Sounds like a whole heap of fun :smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
What a lovely old bike. I wonder who had the bright idea of making the chain case part of the frame? I'd love to have been a fly on the wall at that development meeting, just as I would at the time BL put a square steering wheel in the Allegro. Certainly no easy or quick fix for the rider if caught in the wilds.
Never seen a SA gripshifter either but it does look period. Good luck with researching it and let us know what you come up with.

OP
OP
Oldfentiger

Oldfentiger

Veteran
It looks like Sunbeam used that chaincase design for at least 50 years, until 1955. I can’t find any history beyond 1955 at the moment. Early in the 20th century they introduced a split rear axle, so that the non drive side half could be removed, enabling removal and refitting an inner tube without wheel removal.
I don’t think the SA hub is original, because latterly Sunbeam was owned by BSA so it would have been fitted with a BSA hub. Of course with a SA hub the split axle idea is not possible.
When I were a lad we would sometimes patch a tube without removing the wheel.

Top Bottom