Sunburn and bib shorts! Ouch!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
Spent a bit too much time in the garden over the weekend, done my best lobster impression, burnt my shoulders and neck.

Got dressed for my commute this morning and ouch! Putting on my bib shorts was painfull to say the least. The worst was to come though put my rucksack on double ouch! I think my eyes watered on more than one occassion on the way to work and it wasn't from the breeze lol!

Anyone else made the same mistake or just me as usual!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
You need some P20 mate. Best sunscreen I've ever used. It's alcohol based, so not too greasy. Put it on in the morning, and it'll last all day. I'm fair skinned, was in the sun all weekend all day, and no burn this morning. Expensive though, but well worth it for me.

Matthames

Über Member
PJ79LIZARD said:
Spent a bit too much time in the garden over the weekend, done my best lobster impression, burnt my shoulders and neck.

Got dressed for my commute this morning and ouch! Putting on my bib shorts was painfull to say the least. The worst was to come though put my rucksack on double ouch! I think my eyes watered on more than one occassion on the way to work and it wasn't from the breeze lol!

Anyone else made the same mistake or just me as usual!

I made a similar mistake last year. I went on the world naked bike ride in Brighton and forgot to add more sunscreen when at one of the stops. The end result I ended up burning my shoulders, which made carrying a rucksack a tad uncomfortable.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I don't burn. Gotta love olive skin.
But still gotta put something on to protect from the rays. I dont have a preference

Crankarm

Guru
If this P20 is alcohol based doesn't it act as a degreaser? Not good for your skin. My dentist always says not to use alcohol based mouth wash due to possible link with cancers.

I use Nivea sun cream factor 40. It works fine and lasts most of the day on a long hot ride. It's not greasy either.

Don't what ever you do use Boots' own Soltan cream. It's sh1t. I got burned to a frassle using it a couple of years ago. And it was almost total block.

I think the source of your discomfort it that you didn't apply any suncream so got burned?

Also don't wear a rucksack whilst cycling. It is so not the thing to do and so uncool particularly in hot weather. I saw a guy dressed in black shorts and t-shirt with a medium sized rucksack pedalling furiously on a full susser bike going up a long steepish hill yesterday. He was only at the bottom and sweat was pouring off him. He was pasty and looked quite ill.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I usually just slap on whatever factor 50 is lying around the house.

I have at last discovered the real practical reason for shaving your legs.....

hairy legs + sun cream + midges = car windscreen effect on knees and shins. Uuuurggggh!;)

Niblox

I went out once on a really sunny day just after I had shaved my head bald and when I got home I had a pattern of sunburn on my head that came through the slits in the bike helmet! Fortunately it was mild and I was comfortable within a couple of days.

Top Bottom