England : London Sunday London ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
what his views would have been

Decidedly fixed I would have thought.

ianmac62

Guru
Interesting factoid. Do you have any references?

And I can't help but wonder what his views would have been on every increasing rear cogs.
For his cycling around London, Andrew Rothstein, “Lenin in Britain” (CP, London, 1970) p15, quotes a letter to his mother of 24th September 1902, “Nadya and I have cycled ... round a fair number of neighbouring districts ...”

For his attitude to cycling in the Alps, Robert Service, “Lenin: a biography” (Macmillan, London, 2000) p188 writes about 1908, “Lenin had for years been a cycling enthusiast and from Geneva he had frequently taken (his wife and his sister) on mountain rides ... (he) was the fittest (and) would ride alongside each of them in turn and cajole them to keep going ... the French and Germans took things easy ... the custom was to hire a horse, tether the bicycles behind and ride gently uphill by means of equine power. The British would have nothing to do with this nanny-pamby method and ... Lenin, usually a Germanophile, sided with the British on this. Holidays were not holidays for him unless he could push himself hard.”

The next sentence hints at an attitude towards big cogs: “Better still if he could push others too as (his wife and his sister) noted.”

ianmac62

Guru
Service gives as a footnote - for his paragraph on bicycling from Geneva - documents in the Russian Centre fot the Conservation of Documents of Contemporary History in Moscow.

rb58

Enigma
Nine years 500 pages wow
I bet you've been on every ride too....

rb58

Enigma
I did a recce of the route out to Brookwood on Sunday morning.

So, what do the panel think?
Should we take the urban route there and the pootling country route back?
Or the country route in both directions, go a bit slower and have the opportunity to talk to each other?
I vote for urban there, country back.

Top Bottom