England : London Sunday London ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb58

Enigma
This would suggest a date closer to April. Seem sensible?

I have a Sunday London Ride Ghost Signs tour planned for 7 April, and 21st is Easter Sunday, so how about taking the 'ride for food slot' on 28 April? I'd provisionally thought we could head for Windsor that day - going west is the best plan as 28th is London Marathon day. We might need to think about a different start point too, as HPC will be difficult to get to. And I agree with @Blue Hills , a recce is best if possible.

What would be really cool is if we could sneak on and ride the track.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
When I read the suggestion I was trying to remember if there is a section of the banking we could ride on.
If I manage to have an early day this week I'll go and look.
I know there is a section within the Brooklands Museum but I seem to recall a section we could possibly play on.

Trickedem

Guru
I can confirm the ferry is running again. It seems slower than before due to automated docking. You no longer have to mix it with cars and lorries though. There is a separate entrance
and waiting area for bikes.

Mark Grant

I took a spin out to Brooklands this afternoon.
There are sections of the original banked track that we could ride along, probably won't want to venture to far up the banking though as it is pretty mossy / grassy.
20190213_152422.jpg

This is the best bit, mildly banked.
20190213_145221.jpg

This is the steeper section near Railway straight, its only short as the museum is on the other side of the fence which crosses the track.
A bit iffy walking on that slope in cycling shoes!
I'm not sure I was actually allowed in this bit but it didn't specifically exclude cyclists.
20190213_144849.jpg
You can see a Concorde just inside the museum fence and a smaller one next to a roundabout.
20190213_144111.jpg

AlexB

Veteran
I dropped them an e-mail yesterday.
Their bike parking seems to be by the shop, so not really inside the site, but it's across the bridge as far as I can see, so possibly not very obvious or exposed.
They do group discounts if we can get a large enough group (15+).

Cycle.travel's revised route from central London looks like this: https://cycle.travel/map/journey/89447
I'm not familiar with the far end of that route, so would welcome any comments from locals. It's a pretty good routing algorithm which I generally trust.

I'll try and ride out one weekend in the next couple of weeks.

rb58

Enigma
I dropped them an e-mail yesterday.
Their bike parking seems to be by the shop, so not really inside the site, but it's across the bridge as far as I can see, so possibly not very obvious or exposed.
They do group discounts if we can get a large enough group (15+).

Cycle.travel's revised route from central London looks like this: https://cycle.travel/map/journey/89447
I'm not familiar with the far end of that route, so would welcome any comments from locals. It's a pretty good routing algorithm which I generally trust.

Nice one. Is this now firm for 28 April?

AlexB

Veteran
Nice one. Is this now firm for 28 April?

If you don;t mind, I'd like to test ride the route and have a look at things like the bike parking provision before I confirm.
I'd also like a "plan b" to offer if this doesn't look viable.

At the moment, plan b is possibly a ride in the opposite direction to Eynsford Castle, which was recommended by Sam.

rb58

Enigma
If you don;t mind, I'd like to test ride the route and have a look at things like the bike parking provision before I confirm.
I'd also like a "plan b" to offer if this doesn't look viable.

At the moment, plan b is possibly a ride in the opposite direction to Eynsford Castle, which was recommended by Sam.
Okay, but if we can't do Brooklands, then we can go to Windsor as per original plan.

Mark Grant

Personally, from Kingston Bridge I'd go down the 308. Along the river is OK, a bit gravelly, but there'll be lots of walkers on a Sunday morning.
I'd then go along the Hampton side of the river, passing Port Hampton where MTBs were built during the war then over Walton bridge and along Walton Lane to Weybridge.

Just my 2 penny worth.

Top Bottom