England : Greater Manchester Sunday: Snake Pass & Holme Moss Loop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It's fine as a route (part of it's my Sat am route) - the challenge is whether people are aiming for sub-5 hours or a standard group ride, which will be longer.

Point taken, it's quite obvious that I haven't organised a ride before :tongue:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I didnt notice this issue with the map, should now be resolved.

If the route is too tough for a 5 hour outing, then anyone with better knowledge of the peaks care to suggest some "simplifier's" or "bail out options"?

76km so about 50 miles - sub 5 hour possible riding time. On my own I'd do it much quicker but bear in mind the pace - 5-6 hours likely. Add on cafe stop too.

It's a good route - no bail outs really as it's basically the shortest route anyway.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Weird, I was just planning a very simular route on google maps, I then googled "Is is safe to ride snakes pass" and I found this ride!
Its a very dangerous road, I dont know if its safe to ride on it, some nutter bike and cars treat that road as a race track.

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Weird, I was just planning a very simular route on google maps, I then googled "Is is safe to ride snakes pass" and I found this ride!
Its a very dangerous road, I dont know if its safe to ride on it, some nutter bike and cars treat that road as a race track.

People cycle snake pass all the time and if riding in a group, then you are generally safer in my experience! Google less, cycle more ;)

People are always saying Woodhead is terrible, I've cycled it plenty times and I found it to be fine!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Very safe to be honest. It's the motor bike riders that get themselves killed going way too fast - Cat and Fiddle is down as one of the highest crash rates in the country for motor bikes. It's always fun chasing a big bike down the twisty sections though !

craven2354

I would like to do this ride :smile: do you have a date in mind?

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I am going to do a rece for this when I get the chance (maybe a week on Sunday, I have a club ride this Sunday) then I will look to set the date, just want to be certain of the maintainable pace due to some comments earlier in the thread. This way we can choose a good time to set off so people can be back home at a reasonable hour if they have family commitments etc :smile:

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
BTW, since it is the same landmark hill that this ride will take in, I thought I would mention, Glossop Kinder Velo are running a series of 4 hill Hill Climb's on Holme Moss in October: See link for details

I will be racing (I am crap at hills for sure, but will be trying regardless) these most likely, other commitments permitting.

If you want more details, DONT ask me, ask the club because I don't know anything else other than what I have posted, and I only know that much because someone posted about it on another forum :smile:

Top Bottom