England : Greater Manchester Sunday: Snake Pass & Holme Moss Loop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tigger

Über Member
I'm up for this route. I've ridden the Snake Pass a few times and its a lovely, rythmn climb but never been over Holme Moss. I was actually going to ride this loop today (plus cycling to Glossop and back from Buxton). But thats about 86 miles so I decided I didn't have the time ;)... and I didn't fancy that hill from Glossop to Hayfield either after doing the loop! The Strines sounds like the really tough bit though...???

If you fancy a slightly easier rider that only takes in the Snake Pass I can recommend this 57 miler starting and finishing in Buxton (which I did today and have done a few times). I don't like the really steep stuff personally but I'm OK at longer drags. 17.1 mph average today, great day with very little wind. Lots of cafes in Hathersage. The climb out to Abney is lovely and Wormhill at the end is always a challenge - seems harder than the Snake to me?

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/32545526

Mind you, if you're starting form Buxton there's lots of nicer quiter rides you can do...

tigger

Über Member
I am going to do a rece for this when I get the chance (maybe a week on Sunday, I have a club ride this Sunday) then I will look to set the date, just want to be certain of the maintainable pace due to some comments earlier in the thread. This way we can choose a good time to set off so people can be back home at a reasonable hour if they have family commitments etc :smile:

Don't leave it too long, it will be cold snowy and icey soon! Can it realistically be any slower than 10 mph moving average? Plus an hour cafe stop. 6 hours absolute maximum and then some I'd have thought?? Traffic can be an issue on the Snake at weekends, I'd recommend starting no later than 10am...

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Opp's I forgot about this, had a lot going on lately with my research and many club rides etc, sorry about that.

Okay, let's start bashing around a few dates etc. I have a few things coming up that can't be moved but will see what dates others prefer and get something sorted :smile:

As for the time it will take, having done Holme Moss twice from the Woodhead side on Saturday just gone and a couple of other hilly rides with similar distances and profiles I think a varied ability group would be faster than 10mph moving average. However, we will account for the slowest speed being about 10mph moving average for planning purposes, if people think it will take longer, I suggest we start earlier so we can afford to slip on the average but still get back in time for afternoon family or other commitments, if we go faster, well then more time to chill in Glossop over a post ride coffee or whatever. There will be a cafe stop (undecided where yet, suggestions welcome).

I will be using a Garmin to navigate, but I have a superficial familiarity with the 1st and last 3rd's of the route, the middle section will be a bit seat of the pants.

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I did this loop from the stalybridge side on Saturday

http://app.strava.com/rides/24147282

I now know how hard it is can't wait to do it again :smile:

Oddly, I think the climb itself isn't too bad, at least not from Woodhead (not done the other side), when I went up Holme Moss the 1st time on sat, I rolled up leisurely with a club mate and remarked that it was a pretty easy climb!

Then on the second go, riding at effort trying for a fast time, I was blowing my arse out for a sub-15 min ascent (mission accomplished, posted an official time of 14:59 and overtook my minute man about half way up the climb, winner posted a time of 11:36 O.o), needed a good huff of my inhaler when I got to the top and was coughing for the rest of the day from sucking in all the cold air. Unfortunatelly I didnt start my Garmin until I had already covered about 25% of it, so no Strava segment registered, lol. Got to go faster next time, will go lightweight so I can trick myself into thinking I have gained some advantage, hah!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I normally go up from the Holmfirth side, which is the steep one. I'll see whether I can make the series this Sat.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've only ever done the Manchester side once or twice. I usually come up the Holmfirth side on the way home. Add in a prevailing headwind on it too.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
There will be a cafe stop (undecided where yet, suggestions welcome)..

Good cafe here; Windmill Nurseries cafe at Royd Moor who are used to cyclists http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=windmill nurseries royd moor&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=656&wrapid=tlif134970432206621&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl the run through Windle Edge & Catshaw is good, with short climbs at Townend, Carlecotes & up to Royd Moor. May be a bit far out though and there's 2 miles of Woodhead Pass to cope with.

If you're looking for a cafe in Holmfirth, there's two possibles amongst many:

There's a cyclists cafe in Holmfirth; the Corner House Cafe - http://www.thecornerhousecafe.com/ .

Alternatively you could do a 'Last of the Summer Wine' and go to Sid's Cafe; http://www.sidscafe.com/index.html which is around the corner.

craven2354

Doh!

I noticed on your mapmyride were going a different way then the way I went on the ride I posted :smile: never been down that way so I haven't experienced the climbs except for Holme moss :smile:

Top Bottom