Sunderland to Scotch Corner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm considering cycling home after completing the C2C. As things stand at the moment the Travelodge at Scotch Corner looks the likely overnight stop. Cyclestreets puts me on the NCR 1 from Ryhope to Stockton. I can see from the OS map that this is a converted railway line, so it will be fairly flat, but what is the surface like and, more importantly, are there a lot of gates, styles, etc. which can interrupt your rhythm and spoil the enjoyment of the ride?

All comments and suggestions gratefully received.:thumbsup:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I'm considering cycling home after completing the C2C. As things stand at the moment the Travelodge at Scotch Corner looks the likely overnight stop. Cyclestreets puts me on the NCR 1 from Ryhope to Stockton. I can see from the OS map that this is a converted railway line, so it will be fairly flat, but what is the surface like and, more importantly, are there a lot of gates, styles, etc. which can interrupt your rhythm and spoil the enjoyment of the ride?

All comments and suggestions gratefully received.:thumbsup:

It wasn't a very nice surface ten years ago. It was pot holed and rutted. I don't recall there being any barriers of note. A lot can have happened in the intervening years depending on how much the local councils have invested in maintaining/improving the route.

ste.pearson

Formerly known as stevieP
hi there i cycled this about 2 years ago after completing the c2c its not as flat as you might think but its nothing bad the route is nice and the surface generally is good apart from 1 little stretch just before you come to station town.i dont recall there being many gates or styles tbh and the route from sunderland to stockton is almost entirely traffic free^_^

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The first few miles from Ryhope is gravel/shale and was in good order a few weeks ago.

Not been any further.

Stockton is a bit out of the way to get from Sunderland to Scotch Corner.

Something like Ryhope, Hetton, Durham City, Spennymoor, Shildon, Piercebridge is more direct and mostly on minor roads.

cnb

Veteran
Hi. I cycled from Sunderland down to Thorpe Thewles (near Stockton) last week..Its an old railway stn, now a cafe and shop..Its a good route a little muddy in places but a nice ride...I would agree with pale rider though its not the most direct...I would probably use the Walney to wear route..from Sunderland as far as Sherburn then use the quiet roads down through Sedgefield and Sadberge...

Wow! Thank you all for so many helpful responses. I'll have a look at the alternative suggestions. I'll have to weigh the convenience of easier route-finding on NCR1 against the shorter distance.

Many thanks again.

albion

Guru
I have been down to Scotch Corner a few times from Gateshead and I love the bit of ultra fast wide cycle down from near Sherburn.

But things have changed in 10 years and the path to Thorpe Thewles is decent. I don't think the Stockton bit is as bad as getting to Boro but I'd really suggest Thorpe Thewles, Redmarhall, Whinney Hill, Sadberge for 'hassle free' before joining the Darlington cycle track.
There the Stapleton, Barton route is very flat it though does have traffic at peak times.

Well, folks, having looked at all the alternatives which you have kindly suggested, I've made my decision. When I looked at two routes (1 ) Ryhope - Thorpe Thewles - Redmarhall - Whinney Hill - Sadberge - Middleton St George - Neasham - Hurworth Place - Scotch Corner and (2) Ryhope, Hetton, Durham City, Spennymoor, Shildon, Piercebridge, Scotch Corner, the mileages are surprisingly similar. (1) = 44.4 miles; (2) = 44.7 miles (this from www.ridewithgps.com - obviously they may not be exactly the routes you had in mind). Consequently, if I do decide to make the trip, I think I'll go for Route 1.

Thanks for your offer, theloafer. If I make this trip I'll be leaving Sunderland mid-morning on Wednesday, 3rd July. I don't know if that would be convenient for you?

Many thanks again for having taken the time to make your suggestions - they were very much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom