Sunglasses question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Has anyone got any recommendations for 'Adaptalite' / polarising riding glasses?
I need a pair which can offer clear (ish) with a 'quick' change to dark - to deal with early morning / late evening dazzle during my commute through shady London streets...
I have 'clip in' clear/amber/smoke lenses - and other straightforward sunglasses - can't be sodding about squinting & swapping etc...
Any ideas?

a tricky one.

i think Oakley have some polarising ones - do you have an arm and a leg to spare?

i tended to go with the orange ones that Oakley did, they were dark enough to protect from the brightness, but not so that i couldn't see in shadows. i used them a lot when i went out on the MTB as they worked well for that. they're probably my most used lens due to the british weather as they work well in overcast conditions too, providing enough shade for when the sun comes through.

yellow are ok in dark conditions, but can be too bright in sunlight, especially low light.

simonali

Guru
Specialized do the Adaptalite ones.

As this term was mentioned in the OP, I get the impression that the question had been answered before it was posted.

Had I asked it, it would've gone "Can you Reactolite Rapide lenses for bike glasses?" coz I was a child of the the 70s!

simon, you are quite right and I am a bit of a Specialized tart.(stuff fits me etc...) However, I didn't want to say something stupid that sounded like 'Polaroid' for example so went with something familiar...to those who maybe had an experience or two of wearing...at the same time trying to be specific about what I wanted.

Mr Paul, confirming that 'Adaptalite' are indeed the glasses of choice has made it easy for me. Laurence also acknowledged the difficulty of finding arm and leg with £ printed thereupon...
Reactolite Rapide is so yesterday (but I remember the ads too - <old git alert>) and I was hoping to draw on the experience of youth.

The sun/ shade/ sun business early and late in the day p*sses me off though - Spring and Autumn...I'm too old for all this stress!
:rolleyes:

Here are some shady pictures...

simonali

Guru
Those RR glasses went dark nice and quick but took all day to go clear again when you went indoors, as I remember!

As for Oakley, they make polarised lenses, but nothing that changes shade as far as I know. I like Spesh stuff too. Just bought some shoes made by them and they're very nice.

kyuss

Veteran
Yes, the Specialized have a slight pink tint to them and never go fully clear, just going from that pink colour to a more smoked grey tint in bright light.

I wouldn't be without mine though. They are perfect for everything but pitch dark.

Postscript: I got some pink Adaptalites from the house of Specialized and I have to comment that they were fantastic in today's 'typical' sun/cloud/shade Spring weather. I also wore them home tonight, naturally, and I had less glare, excellent vision and, apparently accentuated red lights!
They are the most expensive glasses I'm likely to own but wearing them was a perfect experience for my eyes - streets ahead of anything else I have used.

For sale: selection of shades :thumbsup:

simonali

Guru
http://www.bikestuff.nl/catalogus/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5392

Found these, but no UK stockist. Only about 40 quid and no pink!

Shimano link

Wonder if they'll get released here, or not?

edit: just occurred to me why these aren't available. Madison are the UK Shimano importer and a cheap brand of cycling glasses is...

Top Bottom