sunglasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hongokongo

Cyclists awlays seem to wear sunglasses.even in the rain. Are they necessary, maybe to keep flies out, are or they just part of the image!!?

I always wear glasses of some description, wether they be clear ones or light reactive.

Stops the old eyes from watering, and stops the squinting. You need your eyes wide open to watch for the reckless motorists out there:becool::biggrin::becool:

e-rider

crappy member
I always wear them too. To stop flies and bits of other stuff getting in. Been to A&E twice with a splinter and insect wing stuck under my eyelid for 2 days; both just blown in from the wind - glasses stop that!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
They are functional. I broke my last pair. Have been meaning to go down to B&Q and buy some replacement goggles for a while.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
always wear glasses what ever the weather or time of day/night. Not nice to get a bug hit you the eyeball. I also wear contact's so it keeps any dust or grit out.

for me its about keeping my eyes from drying. I find mine get sore from the wind and really get dry so glasses all the time for me

kewb

i wear them to stop eyes watering in cold wind or stop flies hitting me ,believe me a fly
can fairly thump your eye they also keep the rain from obscuring your vision ,
different lenses for different things though in low light yellow or clear anti glare ones
in strong sun a tint can stop a tension headache from screwing your eyes up or prevent bling spots if riding into the sun .

they arent just for image i couldnt imagine riding in summer without them or in adverse weather either .

raindog

er.....
+1 to all the replies.
About 4 years ago I went for a ride without my glasses and on a fast descent on a narrow road whilst being overtaken by a big truck, got hit in the eye by a big insect, bumble bee or something, didn't even have time to close my eye, got me right in the eyeball. First reaction was to take one hand off the bars to cover the afflicted eye - the pain was really bad. Wobbled a bit but managed to pull up and stop after the lorry had gone by. Dodgy moment though. Never, ever ridden without them since. Getting sucked under the wheels of a big truck because of insect or dust in the eyes ain't on my list of things to do. Anyway it's much better to have eyes wide open without fear at all times than to be squinting through screwed-up eye lids.

jimboalee

TBH, I'd rather ride with blurred vision constantly than get a drips of sweat down the inside of my prescription inserts.

Without specs, I have to squint to read my Garmin.
With specs, I have to stop to clean the lenses.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
if you see dark glasses ... it was probably sunny when they started out...
it is for me clear spec season (safety B&Q glasses) with contacts.. no way would I ride without eye protection as I go far too quickly.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just got some clear winter glasses made to my prescription by walking in to the local spectacle repair lab, picking up a frame and asking the technician to glaze them.

£50.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Rigid Raider said:
Just got some clear winter glasses made to my prescription by walking in to the local spectacle repair lab, picking up a frame and asking the technician to glaze them.

£50.
You wuz robbed
images.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Rigid Raider said:

£50.
Just waiting for delivery of clear winter glasses, inspired by Tim Bennet's tip here. A company in Bolton selling Bolle Contour for £6.99 incl.

Top Bottom