sunglasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zacklaws

Guru
knapdog said:
I have to wear glasses to see where I'm going, with Reactolites when it's sunny! But, what do glasses' wearers do when it's raining cos I can't see a thing without "windscreen wipers"? Contact lenses would be the answer but then my eyes dry out with the wind. Can glasses be coated with anything so that the rain doesn't "stick" on the lens?!?!?

There was a thread on this a short while ago. I use a rain repellent and conditioner called "Repcon" which was used for cleaning and polishing aircraft cockpits but sadly it is not made any more and I do not know what replaced it, I'll have to ask one of the ground crew at work what they use now.

I went out the other day in the rain and it just bounced off leaving nothing on the lenses what so ever, even sweat whether its on the inside or the outside just runs straight off or if there's a strong wind disappears sideways off the lens. As its not made no more my half litre bottle will have to last me a long time. Actually if I recall someone on the other thread recommended something similar which is made for car windscreens. I used to use "Repcon" on my windscreen and once you got to about 30mph there was no need to have the wipers on as water was just blown off the windscreen

abchandler

A quick browse for rain repellent in aircraft forums recommends Rain-X or Simoniz Paste Wax as a replacement for Repcon

Weegie

abchandler said:
A quick browse for rain repellent in aircraft forums recommends Rain-X or Simoniz Paste Wax as a replacement for Repcon

Rain X contains alcohol - not kind to plastic lenses. Any car wax or Pledge furniture wax would do the same job without damaging the specs.

zacklaws

Guru
Repcon contains ethanol and isopropanol and its never effected any of my glasses and as its designed for aircraft cockpits etc a lot of them especially helicopters are made from perspex which is a form of plastic too, and it also mentions on the bottle that it is recommended for all glass and plastic transparencies.

Isopropanol is also the recommended cleaning solvent of choice for most plastics

kewb

zacklaws said:
Repcon contains ethanol and isopropanol and its never effected any of my glasses and as its designed for aircraft cockpits etc a lot of them especially helicopters are made from perspex which is a form of plastic too, and it also mentions on the bottle that it is recommended for all glass and plastic transparencies.

Isopropanol is also the recommended cleaning solvent of choice for most plastics

Isopropanol evaporates quickly im sure
might be a carrier for other ingredients ?

Weegie

ASC1951 said:
"ColinJ said:
Eeuugh! What a thoroughly offensive website - a dozen pages of fantasy for people who get a stiffy at the idea of punching, kicking or bludgeoning the shite out of "terrorists".

I know that's not you, Colin, so I can understand why you didn't want to point customers in their direction. I think I'll find somewhere else to buy cycling glasses.

For anyone else who doesn't want to pass their personal details to such a scary-ass company :biggrin:...

Bolle Contour, £6.60 inc p&p on ebay. Ordered Wed, delivered Fri. Good glasses, slightly "industrial" looking on the bridge, but very very effective.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Weegie said:
For anyone else who doesn't want to pass their personal details to such a scary-ass company :sad:...

Bolle Contour, £6.30 inc p&p on ebay. Ordered Wed, delivered Fri. Good glasses, slightly "industrial" looking on the bridge, but very very effective.
Well, they've got mine now! :biggrin:

Yes, the glasses are very 'functional'. Mine had a couple of slightly rough edges on the frames which I've smoothed off. Very good value for money though.

Oh, one other thing - they are very close fitting. Some people may find them too close. I can get my eyelashes to touch the lenses, so I'm wearing the glasses slightly lower down my nose than I normally would.

Weegie

ColinJ said:
Well, they've got mine now! :biggrin:
Never mind, I'm sure their christmas catalogue will be fine reading. Place it on your coffee table and frighten your family & friends :sad:

Oh, one other thing - they are very close fitting. Some people may find them too close. I can get my eyelashes to touch the lenses, so I'm wearing the glasses slightly lower down my nose than I normally would.
Same here. I suppose safety specs are close-fitting by design. Does feel a bit claustrophobic compared to regular specs, but probably more effective at keeping debris out.

mossy

Hi
As a contact lens wearer I just cannot function without sunglasses.I change the lens to suit and even at night with yellow lens I feel fine.
Would hate to lose a lens going downhill without glasses.
So,for me I agree with the above comment by wearers.

GrasB

Veteran
I'll always have glasses on, yellow for low light then image enchancing or Polaroid with or without mirroring depending on conditions. I think sometimes you have the situation I was in today, broken cloud with wet roads, yes in was cloudy & dark a fair bit of the time but it was also bright & sunny. When the Polariod sunglasses came out for the 3rd time they stayed out. I could see find & it's better than swapping glasses every few miles.

Top Bottom