Sunglasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At the moment I have some DHb triple lens sunglasses. I must admit I am a bit fed up with them as I need to keep pushing them back onto my nose as I cycle along. So can anyone recommend some decent triple lens sunglasses? I'm looking to spend up to about £70.

I know it is best to try before you buy, but with 3 kids etc, I just don't have the time to tour the bikes shops, so recommendations would be appreciated!

Soltydog

Legendary Member
At the moment I have some DHb triple lens sunglasses. I must admit I am a bit fed up with them as I need to keep pushing them back onto my nose as I cycle along. So can anyone recommend some decent triple lens sunglasses? I'm looking to spend up to about £70.

I know it is best to try before you buy, but with 3 kids etc, I just don't have the time to tour the bikes shops, so recommendations would be appreciated!

There's a bit of a sunglasses review in this months C+, but alas my copy is at work. :huh:

Ive got a cheap pair out of aldi and they steam up the minute you stop. Ive also got the PBK pair and a TdF branded pair and although there not as fast to steam up they do steam up. My dearest pair (actually cheapest pair, I got them free in C+)a pair of Rudy Projects hardly ever steam up. IIRC they retail at £57 for the frame alone and you can also order interchangeable lenses.

http://www.rudyprojectuk.com/

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Ohh! :blink:

HLaB, I wish you hadn't mentioned the Rudy Project glasses. I've now seen the teh Rydon Impact X Photo Clear glasses that go from clear to dark. That'd cover everything. Also lifetime breakage guarantee. A snip at £130. :eek:

But I want them! :biggrin:

e-rider

crappy member
I just broke my GILL triple lens sunglasses about 2 minutes before a ride last Saturday (the sunniest day of the year so far) and had to glue them together for the ride - they are now in the bin.

One thing that I would say about triple lens sets is that although they are very useful, repeated changing of the lenses will eventually lead to them cracking and breaking.

I have just bought some Bloc Cobras (smoke lens) and Northwave Predators (orange lens) for £40 total. Just looking for some decent clear lenses now!

Having seperate pairs also means that if you break one pair just before a ride you have the option of wearing something else rather than going with nothing and getting flies and grit in your eyes!

mikeitup

Veteran

some decent glasses to be had from here:

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?cat=All Multi Lens Eyewear&START=24&LIMIT=12#toc

got my PBK 5 lens glasses 18mths ago and they are excellent. Under £20 too.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
I bought a set of these at the weekend - Used them on Saturday for the first time. Happy with them, they dont slip and didnt fog up for me when I stopped :smile:

They came with 3 lenses (smoked, clear and amber), bag and cloth

1306-3046-full-bsg-3009_big-29.jpg

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Oops! :ohmy: I've just gone and bought the Rudy Project glasses. I've even lowered my standards and bought them from Ribble (about £20 cheaper than anywhere else, but they do have very poor customer service so hears hoping!!).

Still they sound like they fit the bill. Practically clear to dark, so should be useable virtually all year around, and apparently unbreakable, so should last a good long while.

I'd better keep the receipt (i.e. indication of cost) away from Mrs Magnatom! :blush::biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Ach, just sell yur first born... ;)

Chrisc

Guru
Realise it's a bit late, but I use Bolle Contour Metal safety glasses. Wraparound, anti-fog, anti-scratch, impact resistant, unbreakable with an identical bridge system to the Rudy specs and all for under a tenner delivered. Microfibre cloth bag as well.

bolleaspx.jpg

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Realise it's a bit late, but I use Bolle Contour Metal safety glasses. Wraparound, anti-fog, anti-scratch, impact resistant, unbreakable with an identical bridge system to the Rudy specs and all for under a tenner delivered. Microfibre cloth bag as well.

Ah but do they have the clear to dark photochromatics? This is what I was really interested in. I had a pair of specialized glasses a few years ago that were pretty good and they had the photochromatic thingy. Loved the photochromatic thingy , but they broke, they didn't go completely clear, and they had a full frame which did restrict my view slightly. This pair will hopefully do the job. :smile:

Chrisc

Guru
Ah but do they have the clear to dark photochromatics? This is what I was really interested in. I had a pair of specialized glasses a few years ago that were pretty good and they had the photochromatic thingy. Loved the photochromatic thingy , but they broke, they didn't go completely clear, and they had a full frame which did restrict my view slightly. This pair will hopefully do the job. :smile:

Not like transitions lenses no, clear, yellow or smoke. Didn't realise the rudys were reactive lenses.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Not like transitions lenses no, clear, yellow or smoke. Didn't realise the rudys were reactive lenses.

Aye, the ones I've gone for are. They are more useful for me, especially as I have to go through a cycle tunnel, and because in Glasgow the weather can change quickly.

I'm also hoping I can use them at night. I'll need to see how clear they go. If not clear enough, then I can get a cheap clear pair for the dark nights and mornings.

DavieB

MIA
Aye, the ones I've gone for are. They are more useful for me, especially as I have to go through a cycle tunnel, and because in Glasgow the weather can change quickly.

I'm also hoping I can use them at night. I'll need to see how clear they go. If not clear enough, then I can get a cheap clear pair for the dark nights and mornings.

So what you are saying is you have spent 130 quid on glasses that might not be fit for the purpose you bought them (to wear them all the time).

Your right you better hide that receipt!
cool.gif

Chrisc

Guru

How quick do they change nowadays? I had some reactolite specs many years ago and the things took ages to work. Keep seeing 'Tyler Farrar, sprinter of team garmin transistions', (seen it too many times) ride out of his garage with instantly reacting specs and wondering.

Top Bottom