Sunlight flashing through trees.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have one stretch on my commute that I don't like as I have to pass about 100 m of security railings around a pylon or something, and I can't look forward when I'm cycling that stretch on a sunny winters morning. I've tried shutting my eyes but you still get the flicker so I just have to look towards the west.

It sounds as though you are more sensitive though, and I hope they can suggest something to help.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
It has been a beautiful morning here in Essex and I really fancied a ride out. Unfortunately following Sunday's episode I just chickened out. I will have to wait until it is cloudy then go out. It is only for a few weeks then the sun will be sitting higher in the sky.

Orville

What the OP describes has been a factor in numerous aircraft accidents (propeller and helicopter) and is referred to as "flicker vertigo". Just get on Google and look for coping methods. Still a good idea to talk to your physician about it. Take care.

You're not alone OP, my Dad used to be bothered by this whilst driving but as a child it never bothered me at all.

As I've aged though I've also found the flickering annoying whilst driving or cycling, maybe its a hereditary thing?

Shielding my eyes is the only respite, I suffer from migraine too but can't say this has ever triggered one.

AndyOwl

I am so excited to find someone with EXACTLY the same symptoms! It's scary.

I never get headaches or migraines, and don't have diabetes or epilepsy - I'd say I'm in perfect health. But I do have one theory. Sometimes I feel shaky and get a strange sweating: I know the way to get this to go away is to eat something, preferably sweet. I think this is hypoglycaemia.

I tend to get this on my cycle home in the late afternoon when I also get some symptoms of hypoglycaemia. Could they be linked? Anyone else have this? One day I'm going to crash - it's unpleasant.

vickster

Legendary Member
I am so excited to find someone with EXACTLY the same symptoms! It's scary.

I never get headaches or migraines, and don't have diabetes or epilepsy - I'd say I'm in perfect health. But I do have one theory. Sometimes I feel shaky and get a strange sweating: I know the way to get this to go away is to eat something, preferably sweet. I think this is hypoglycaemia.

I tend to get this on my cycle home in the late afternoon when I also get some symptoms of hypoglycaemia. Could they be linked? Anyone else have this? One day I'm going to crash - it's unpleasant.

See a doctor.
Eat something (slow release carb or protein) a little time before you cycle home if low blood sugar is the issue?

Top Bottom